Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrading to wireless heating - Confusion!

Hi all. Here's the situation:
240 volt wiring on 200 AMP service and breakers.
I have two baseboard heaters which have the manual dial-type built in thermostat.
I have three baseboard heaters that are connected to wall mounted dial-type thermostats.

I'm hoping to convert my two built in thermostat heaters to wireless. I'm wondering, then, is there a way to make those wireless? I've been searching for some digital baseboard + wireless temp sensor combo. Or a wireless thermostat that connects to the baseboard heater.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    What you will need to do is to use a contactor -- a heavy duty relay -- which in turn is controlled by the usual low voltage wireless type thermostat. I can't give you a potential model number, but perhaps someone else will chime in. The contactor has to be able to switch the full current of the baseboard heaters -- likely to be as much as 15 to 20 amps or more -- at 240 volts. You may be able to find one with a 24 VAC coil.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    One of these will get you into the 3 wire 24 volt market where you have unlimited choices. It is probably easier to to put the relay on the heater and then sneak a low voltage wire under the baseboard and up a wall to a suitable location.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Aube-RC840T-240-240v-Relay-w-Built-In-24V-Transformer?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdHhBRCwARIsAAhRhslnQmh-WzpnZgHJRPhn1rAQ4XHJ1_LGf_SXimfLWTSi9WRsVr2Kg4AaAkHCEALw_wcB
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Thanks @Zman -- I figured you or someone like you would have the reference...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England