Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water quality for gas fired humidifier

Options
EGinCO
EGinCO Member Posts: 3
Howdy,

Ive recently inherited a gas fired humidifier that serves at yoga studio. I removed a substantial amount of debris from the evaporator last quarter. This quarter the humidifier is throwing up foaming error codes and again there is quite a bit of junk in there. Does anyone know what this stuff is? Can someone refer a water analysis company? Id like to prevent this buildup if possible.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Hard to say what the junk is -- but it really doesn't matter. A humidifier -- any evaporative humidifier --will build up anything that is in the water very quickly, and will grow anything which is growable in the water very quickly. The only real plan is to blow the humidifier down -- probably at least daily.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EGinCO
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    Bet bett would be to download the manual from the humidifier mfg and follow their instructions.

I am sure they would have water quality and maintenance instructions.

Hard to tell as we don't know what you have
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Looks like bog standard scale to me. The rate of buildup is entirely dependent on how much crud is in the water & how much water the humidifier puts into the air (leaving the minerals!).

What size is the humidifier & how hard does it work? As mentioned above, daily blowdowns may be required and certainly couldn't hurt. Do perform the major & minor maintenance procedures per the manual as well.

You may want to look into tightening up the envelope to reduce humidity exfiltration. Seal up any cracks that allow outside air in, & give some thought to adding a vapor barrier if one is not present.

EGinCO