Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Draining a hydronic loop to cap pipes

Steve Garson_2
Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
I am doing some demolition work in my kitchen. My heating contractor will be delayed in coming over to move the copper pipes feeding a radiator that will be removed for a new doorway.

I'm experienced sweating joints, so I would like to cap the two pipes to avoid holding up the carpenters, but I know that the pipes will need to not have fluid in them. Since the radiator in question is on the 1st floor and I have 2 stories, I can close off the loops for the 2nd floor. But do I have any alternative to draining the 1st floor loop? I am guessing that to refill it could be a pain with air bubbles.

Any tips?

Steve
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If this is going to be really temporary, may I suggest an heretical idea? Get yourself a couple of SharkBite caps the proper size to fit -- and a sponge. Don't drain anything. Cut the pipes (use a really good tubing cutter) and quick like slap a SharkBite on there. With any kind of luck at all you won't get enough air in the system to need to purge, except for the one section you have played with. You will get wet. If you're quick, you won't even get that wet.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CanuckerZman
  • Steve Garson_2
    Thanks, Jamie. Great idea!
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    Worked perfectly. Lost perhaps 8oz of water in the process.
    Steve from Denver, CO