Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choosing a gas boiler

VS_in_NJ
VS_in_NJ Member Posts: 1
Which boiler would you suggest for a 4500 sq. ft house in windy area in northern NJ?

I have two choices at the moment: HTP UFT versus Weil Mclain Evergreen. Which one is better?

Also, what is the correct size? The house is about 50 years old but in good shape. The house in the a windy cold spot in North NJ.

Thank you!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    There are only two ways to determine the proper size for a boiler. If this is steam, then you add up the EDR values of all the radiati0n in the building and choose a boiler with the same EDR rating, plus or minus perhaps 10%. On the other hand, if it is hot water, then you do a heat loss calculation on the building -- Slant'Fin has a very easy to use program ("app") to do that -- and choose a boiler to match that size.

As to which boiler is better -- they're both good. However, the installation is the most important part of the job -- and the best boiler of the correct size is the one your chosen installer most prefers to work with and service.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delta Tkcopp
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    @Jamie Hall this is a hot water system.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Jamie Hall
    EzzyT said:

@Jamie Hall this is a hot water system.

heat loss,, @EzzyT ? Or are you on the job? If so, I'll just cheer!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    I did give the homeowner a estimate. For the HTP with a indirect tank.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2019
    @VS_in_NJ
    You won't find any better than EzzyT.

The installer is much more important than the brand. You're not just buying a product; you're purchasing a service. The variation in the quality of that is staggering with today's contractors in this trade.

That being said, I'd recommend the HTP UFT. We've done dozens with only a couple of minor issues on one.

Ezzy also stocks every part for that boiler (except maybe the HX).
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    1MatthiasDZoro
  • Jamie Hall
    I've seen @EzzyT at work -- you're in good hands, @VS_in_NJ !
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    funny how the good one's are well known.. have to agree with other comments.. every boiler has it's good and bad.. now a top notch installer... makes the decision simple..
    SuperTechDZoro