Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bell and Gossett series 100 noise

Just replaced B&G series 100 motor and coupling. On start up, runs quiet and boiler activates. Within a few seconds, get a noise in the area of the bearing assembly. I've ordered a new assembly and will be installing it. Any other possible causes for the noise?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Sounds like pebbles?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Coupler?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Didn't install a wet rotor pump?
    Zmankcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2018
    Why waste your time and money on that antiquated thing? Install a wet rotor circ like a Grundfos ups15-58 or Taco 007. Either will bolt right in place of the series 100 at 1/4 the cost.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    ZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Did the new motor come with new rubber mounts. If it did then yes it's the bearing assembly.
  • sheets105
    sheets105 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you everyone. The motor assembly is brand new as is the coupler. I've just noticed there are metal shavings all over the bearing assembly, so guessing there is a problem in there. Should have the new bearing assembly today, so we will see....
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Those were and hopefully still are a great workhorse.
    I have repaired a few and learned that, (working for homeowners) when the bearing seal goes out it is time for an upgrade.
    Hopefully you get good years out of it.
    Just observe the oiling instructions, originally there were 3 points.
    Do not over oil the motor, if there are ports.
  • Wonderful circulator. There are many installed on my route and I have great respect for them.

Youtube video helps, especially minute 5:00 when they show you how much oil to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8rtXS1S-k
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes said:
    > Wonderful circulator. There are many installed on my route and I have great respect for them.
    >
    > Youtube video helps, especially minute 5:00 when they show you how much oil to use.

Gretzky is "The Geat One" but eventually he did have to hang up his skates.
    Nobody will ever top him even though the kids today are stronger, faster, more conditioned players. But Gretzky cant compete anymore.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Lol I remember when the coupler broke at 3:00am on my series 100 HV, and ceiling radiant. I thought the house was coming apart.........