Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with thermostat for old boiler driven hot water tank

Options
My brother in law has an older home in Bernardsville nj where the hot water for the the house is done using the houses boiler and a hot water storage tank. It seems that the thermostat for the hot water is not working, no matter the setting on the thermostat the hot water is always scalding. I have a poor shot of just the thermostat, I can get more pics if needed. Is the thermostat replaceable or should I advise my BIL to get a traditional hot water heater?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You need a mixing valve on the domestic side, for starters. And you need a competent tech to check the aquastat and controls for proper, safe operation.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Start with a few pics of the piping around the boiler & tank, enough & of a quality to follow the pipes around visually. Closeups of the controls to show the set points (as you posted earlier) too.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,962
    Options
    John_141
    A few more pictures would be very helpful. Sounds like you are getting direct boiler water temp. Dangerously hot water coming out of your faucets?
    You will need to install a mixing valve to supply those faucets at a safe temperature. Pictures will help to communicate your problem with you.