Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Disintegrating WM WTGO-4

ReD_BaRoN
ReD_BaRoN Member Posts: 6
Hey folks,

Could use some opinions on what I’m up against here. Recommendation from the service guy is new boiler ($$$).

Looks like, from what I can tell, the intermediate section is essentially disintegrating. Rusting out - leaking.

Service guy says WM only does warranty work the for original purchaser, and I’m the second owner of the home. He didn’t seem interested in pursuing the warranty. Also WM will only work via contractors for warranty work, so I can’t do much about it.

Questions: what is causing this deterioration?
Is WM warrenty work out of the question?
Is this new boiler territory?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    The deterioration is more than likely the water quality.
    The warranty is not transferable.
    You could try to replace the middle section... but
    Probably out of the question.

Do you have pix?
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    How old is this boiler?? Also unless it’s deemed by WM to be a manufacturing defect, which it probably isn’t, your SOL.

The adjoining sections have to checked for corrosion and unfortunately with Weil-McLain once you loosen the draw rods the whole boiler comes loose so all sections will need new Elastomer seals. Even if WM deemed it their responsibility and gave you a new section under warranty (which is depreciating by the way), you have to purchase that section first and the old one sent back to WM for investigation before they refund the money. Unfortunately to do all this the hourly labor charge would surpass the purchase and installation of new boiler. That’s why most contractors won’t do warranty work on boiler sections. Plus no manufacturer refunds labor. That’s on the owner.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Well the "T" in WTGO means tankless coil, so if that's what your using, it's worth the upgrade to a 3 pass boiler and indirect water heater.
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    How old is the boiler?
    Do you have any pictures?
    steve
  • ReD_BaRoN
    edited December 2018
    Sorry folks, should have mentioned age and supplied pics earlier.

The boiler was put in with the house in 2005, so 13 years old.

We are on well water, so that may contribute to the issue.

Here are some pics:
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    How often has water been added over the past 13 years? Do you monitor the amount of makeup water?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • STEVEusaPA
    Questions: what is causing this deterioration?
    Is WM warrenty work out of the question?
    Is this new boiler territory?

1. I'd definitely agree with @kcopp, for water quality. You should address that with the new boiler.
    2. No warranty. Even if you were 'eligible', they point to their I/O manual and warranty section regarding water quality and deny it.
    3. Yes, new boiler. I'd use a LWCO, leave the feed valve closed or use a boiler feed that monitors how much water added if you suspect a leak.
    I'd go with an Energy Kinetics boiler, or triple pass/indirect tank.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • ReD_BaRoN
    Thanks for he comments folks. I really have no idea how often new water was introduced via the auto fill valve, but I know that the system has been bleed a few times since we’ve lived here (7 years), adding a zone, new expansion tank, new fill valve.
    Looks like a new boiler is in the cards for us, and we’ll have to get on top of the water quality situation, and monitoring the amount of water added to the system.

Any ideas if this is a too hard, or too soft water situation?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    ReD_BaRoN said:

Thanks for he comments folks. I really have no idea how often new water was introduced via the auto fill valve, but I know that the system has been bleed a few times since we’ve lived here (7 years), adding a zone, new expansion tank, new fill valve.

Looks like a new boiler is in the cards for us, and we’ll have to get on top of the water quality situation, and monitoring the amount of water added to the system.

Any ideas if this is a too hard, or too soft water situation?

That isn't just from doing work on the system unless its been monthly work over 7 years.

Your local health department may be able analyse the water quality for you.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Does anyone else suspect flue gas condensation?? Maybe low temperature return??
  • STEVEusaPA

Does anyone else suspect flue gas condensation?? Maybe low temperature return??

Looks rotted out to me.
    steve
    Canucker