Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

design question

Options
gaabbee
gaabbee Member Posts: 43
Is this system missing anything? Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Why the heat exchanger? Non O2 tubing? Is the boiler a water heater?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Also, you'll need an expansion tank, fill/backflow, relief valve, MBR, on the boiler side. Unless, like Z said, it's a water heater that's also serving domestic. In that case, I'd move the coil to the other side of the HX.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • gaabbee
    Options
    Using a heat exchanger so that if there is a leak or problem on the radiant side I can still use the back up coil. Also I'm sorry I forgot to include the expansion tank and fill on the boiler side but they are there.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    If all you are worried about is possible leaks or problems with the radiant tubing and using the fan coil as a secondary if that happens, I would just make sure I had some valves to isolate the radiant, and still allow the fan coil to operate. The heat exchanger adds a lot of cost (Exchanger itself is not cheap, not to mention another fill valve, backflow, expansion tank etc..), maintenance, and just another possible failure point. Any reason to assume the radiant will fail? Is this a new install? What kind of tubing?
    Gordy
  • gaabbee
    Options
    This will be a new system with 1/2 inch oxygen barrier PEX. My main fear is coming home to a flooded house which is why I want the radiant to be a closed system. I know the boiler side could leak but at least that will be contained to the basement. I know I should just try to keep it as simple as possible but I will definitely consider your suggestions
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    If you use a type a O2 barrier pex like Rehau, it will be the most durable part of the system. Your fears are unfounded as long as it's installed properly.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    GordyDZorodelta T