Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is Neutralized needed on condensate of nat gas DHW heater tank?

Leonard
Leonard Member Posts: 903
edited December 2018 in Radiant Heating
Condensate is pumped outside ~ 3 feet up off ground, NO neutralizer, wonder how concerned I should be about it splashing back on old cement block wall with 70 year old weak mortar in the joints.

It's a tenant installed ~ 60-80 gallons nat gas fired DHW tank in a restaurant, I assume it's a condensing type since exhaust is ~ 3 inch plastic pipe.

The condensate drains to a pump, and periodically it gives a good blast of water to the outside

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Cold climate? If so, what’s going to prevent freezing?
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    It is a low ph fluid, it could damage any masonry it splashes on. Will it drain away when the ground freezes? It could be gallons per day pumping out.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    You could collect some of the condensate and test it with inexpensive swimming pool PH strips... or a local pool place would probably test it for free.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It may not be a condensing appliance. A standard power vented gas water heater is only about 70% efficient and doesn't condense. PVC vent pipe can be used because the flue gasses are diluted with a large amount of air at the water heater lowering their temp to 140* or less.

You need to get the make and model of the water heater to see if it's condensing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    If it is going into a pump, and discharging as the unit runs, I suspect it is condensate fro a condensing style unit.

Should run 3-4 ph, here is an example of 3 ph.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited December 2018
    It's southern NH ....COLD ~ few days at 10-15 degs F this season already.

Soil is clay, pitched away from building, concerned about splash back, old motar and blocks are weak/cheap , not much cement in them.

Sounds like ph 3 is pretty acidic, might be a problem over years of exposure

Knew I should have posted numbers, but I assumed plastic exhaust meant condensing.