Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

outdoor reset set up

my plumber will be installing a lochnivar whn 110k btu boiler im an electrcian and would like to set up an out door reset can some one explain to me the parts needed maybe post a link so i can get everything and also how to wire this with thermostats

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2018
    The boiler will handle the outdoor reset internally. You just need to install the supplied outdoor sensor.
    As for the zones, it all depends on how your system is set up.
    Tell us more about you system.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nickybotz
    nickybotz Member Posts: 27
    I have 3 floors basement,main and 2 floor the basement is half inch PEX in 4" slab with 2 inch rigid foam underneath, first floor is half inch PEX in 2 inch mud job joist bays insulated from below second floor is half-inch PEX stapled up under the subfloor with heat transfer plates whole house will be spray foam insulated, the boiler is not installed yet I'm in the process of wiring the house now and just want to know where to run thermostat lines how many wires etc. In a previous post hear the consensus was to use thermostats with floor sensors on every floor one zone on each floor is what my goal is
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Out of curiosity how many sq ft is the heated area?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Make sure you install the outdoor sensor on the north side of the house where it will not be influenced by other heat sources.

Also do the ohm check once installed, and compare to chart in manual.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,843
    Isolate the sensor cable from HV cables
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Find location directly on the concrete, in between the tubes. I usually will do this below the room thermostat. When you commission the boiler it will ask you questions about your water and air temperature design, and your btu max load. Answer the questions, and is simple as that. Like @Gordy said Outdoor sensor on north side, in a area by itself, no dryer, boiler vents... I like to pull
  • DZoro
    Sorry, 18-5 stat wire.
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2018
    In addition to what @Gordy P said, I would say North west location on house, above the highest potential snow level but low enough that it's not above or near any windows or exterior doors that might leak heat, which rises.
  • nickybotz
    nickybotz Member Posts: 27
    About 600sqft per floor
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    nickybotz said:

About 600sqft per floor

110k btu for 1800 sq ft, spray foam insulation so a very tight envelope. I know this wasn't your original question, but I'd say that boiler is ridiculously over sized. Even half that size is probably too big, but they only go so small.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DZoro
    @KC_Jones , with the Noble boiler he can limit the heating BTU's to as low as 11,000 btu with that boiler. The 110,000 btu is for the domestic on demand side.
    So he can lock in a maximum btu output say 35,000 btu. Should work good for him. I just threw that number out, I didn't do a heat loss calc. Hopefully he has one done already ;)

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2018
    @KC_Jones
    The whn is a 5:1 tdr. It modulate down to 20.9 k low end high end is 89k that is output.

We don’t know the load calls, but yes they will be low.

We have to look at output when looking at sizing not input.

Yes it’s a tad big. But it can lock out upper modulation. Plus if there is an indirect it will have a little better horse power for recovery.

I suspect when properly setup it will dwell in the low end modulation most of the season.
  • DZoro
    My bad, thought it was a Noble, I agree with @KC_Jones , @Gordy . Had he gone with the Noble he would get a 10 -1 turn down, and domestic.... ;)