Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alaska earthquake

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
I hope our friends in Alaska are okay.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @rick in Alaska , are you guys alright?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,268
    edited December 2018
    Hello, I had a look and Homer (where Rick is) is 579 miles from Fairbanks. (Mmmm, must have coffee before typing :p ) Still, 7 is a BIG quake! Wonder if Rock felt it? Alaska does scary quakes >:)
    Yours, Larry
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
    @rick in Alaska you always find a bright side. Love that about you.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    There's always a bright side, somewhere. Sometimes, it just takes a lot of looking, and some creative thinking. B)
    Solid_Fuel_ManErin Holohan Haskell
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715

There's always a bright side, somewhere. Sometimes, it just takes a lot of looking, and some creative thinking. B)

Considering everything we know you are going through, you truly are an inspiration. We are all glad you are safe.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Solid_Fuel_ManErin Holohan Haskellrick in Alaskakcopp
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Hi @rick in Alaska , I saw Tanya's update today. Tell her we are all thinking about her and hope she makes it home for Christmas!
    rick in Alaska
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,271
    So glad you're all ok @rick in Alaska. Our best to Tanya as well.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    rick in Alaska
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2018
    Never been in a quake, couldn’t imagine that burst of energy. been in a pretty good tremor though. In northern Illinois when I was maybe 7. Middle of the night, woke the whole family windows rattling, and all. My dad ran down in the basement thought the water heater blew up.

Glad all is well Rick, and you are a hell of a guy!
    rick in Alaska
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I only felt one aftershock the next morning, and it was just one big bump. I haven't heard of anyone here in Homer who had any damage to there place, but it looks like Anchorage makes up for it. I don't know how many people saw the pictures, but what I can say is if I owned a liquor store, I would have my bottles contained for events like this. There are a lot of broken bottles up there!
    I like to use the flow chart method for troubleshooting and for my life, because I see life in a realist point of view. In other words, I look at a scenario and decide if there is anything I can do about it, and if there is, I do it. If I determine there isn't anything that can be done for it, then I move on. I don't see much point in wasting my time, or stressing myself, over things I have no control over. As they say; "it is what it is".
    My wife however, does stress on things, but I am working on that too. :*
    I really appreciate all your support and kind words.
    Rick
    GordyDZoro
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,562
    I felt a 6.0 while working in Mexico. I was in bed and it felt like this:

https://youtu.be/2CJJ6FrfuGU
  • Harold
    Harold Member Posts: 249
    Odd sort of quake sensing. I was standing in a work space on the second floor of a building in Salt Lake City. And I started to feel a bit dizzy. It was like getting seasick on a boat. I was looking out the window and some very high voltage transmission lines were literally dancing and making some serious sparks. Then we lost power.

Epicenter - Yellowstone. Significantly revised the layout of various volcanic attractions.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Because I'm a nerd, I had to look up hte energy released i na earthquake. A 7.0 quake releases approx. 199 kilotons of energy. In perspective, the A bombs dropped in WWII were 15 & 21 respectively. The duration of course of the release was shorter. Modern nukes are normally around 1200 kilotons with some.

An 8.0 is 6200 kilotons. a 9.0 levels everything is is equal to 99,000 Kilotons! Largest nuke ever detonated was 50 megatons (50,000 kilotons) with the cloud going up 130,000ft in altitude. A 9.0 earthwuake is almost 2x more powerful.

In another comparison, Mt St Helens eruption released 24 megatons of energy.

We are pathetic, even with nuclear weapons compared to the power of nature.
    Gordy
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 528
    Those of us who live along the Pacific Ring of Fire necessarily suppress most thoughts about earthquakes. If we didn't, we'd soon either go crazy or move somewhere else. :)

Last week's Alaska earthquake was a mere jiggle compared to the one that hit Anchorage March 27, 1964. On November 30, 2018, magnitude was 7.0 and shaking lasted around one minute. In 1964, magnitude was 9.2 (158 times as strong!) and it went on for 4.5 minutes. Even for someone like me who experienced a 6.1 while 1.5 miles from its epicenter, last century's great Alaska event is difficult to imagine.
    rick in Alaska