Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas meters for LP

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
I'm looking to monitor usage on LP with a gas meter. Looking at the AM-250 as they are cheap and plentiful. Total connected load is 150,000 btu/hr.

With this type of meter related at 5 psi still work on the 11"WC side of a propane distribution system? What I'm reading seems to indicate it would, didn't know what kind of pressure drop I can expect, or if a different meter would be recommended.

Happy Thanksgiving All!
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Minimal pressure drop if at all and you will not even notice it. Yes that meter should work for what you are doing.
    Solid_Fuel_Mankcopp
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    I run an AM-250 on the 11" side of my LP system with a 140k total load and it reflects the tank's percentage perfectly. I've had it in place 3 years now and have only filled the 500 gallon tank once, but it's spot on
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Ok, this is exactly what I wanted to know!

Thank you so much.

I'm now digesting Turkey & trimmings, making room for pie(s)!
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    I primarily heat with an OWB but was wanting to see what my LP water heater was using (if any) during the winter while on wood so I put this in. I've had a used Lochinvar KBN105 sitting in the basement waiting for install when I switch to radiant in the house and was hoping to monitor what it costs to heat the place with LP versus wood on a day to day basis but haven't made it that far yet. Haha
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    I have a 115 gallon indirect, which I heat once a day with wood. Burn one fire a day all winter. The large storage of DHW allows me (most days) to ride out the 20 hour period between fires.

Now when we have both sides of the family over and all the women are cooking and then washing copious amounts of dishes I had to build a fire earlier of which about 1/3 went directly toward DHW.

Have been very happy with the solar indirect purchase 8 years ago.