Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any veterans here?

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Thank you for serving!

I'm not. It was relatively calm when I came of age, 3 years after Vietnam ended. My dad served 3 years in Korea, earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He's 86 and still haunted by some of what he experienced.

Steve Minnich
DocfletcherIronmanSolid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Yep, I'm a Viet Nam Era Army vet. I was fortunate in that I went to Germany. Most wartime vets keep their stories close to vest. As they age they begin to loosen up a bit. Often explaining that they feel their stories need to be told. Thank your Dad for me.
    TinmanIronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Early Viet Nam era. Defense Intelligence Agency/Special Forces. And I thank all of the veterans, and those still serving.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    IronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The only lottery I ever won made me the last kid drafted out of my county in 1970.
    I spent 39 consecutive months on a Greek island in the Med with the USAF.......was never "In Country" as the term was.
    That story I keep close to my vest when with any true combat vets.

I certainly salute and thank those who were there and any other war zone place before and since.
    IronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    edited November 2018
    Paternal grandfather obm was a medic during World War II. Silver Star & Bronze Star recipient. Came ashore day after D-Day invasion. Was also involved in Battle of the Bulge. Received Silver Star for actions during Battle of the Bulge. One of his Superior officers was hit by piece of shrapnel and became disoriented. Started running towards Enemy Lines. My grandfather ran after him, tackled him and dragged him back to the friendly lines. Suffered his entire life from hearing issues resulting from his time in the army. He never liked to talk about his time in the army or things that he had seen.
    IronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Thanks so much, guys! @Docfletcher - my dad did not utter a single word about Korea until 10 years after his retirement. When he does talk about it, it hurts him and, at the same time, helps him.
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Coax your Dad into speaking, sharing his stories would be a wonderful thing for you in the years to come. Especially if you record them, maybe someday share them with your children ETC.
    JUGHNETinman
  • Tinman
    He's actually been an active speaker the last 5 years or so in the Chicago area; high schools, grade schools, different organizations. Never charges anything for it, always ends his speeches with "Freedom isn't free".
    Steve Minnich
    DocfletcherSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Vietnam era. 82nd Airborne.

My dad, WW2 vet; my brother Vietnam era Navy; my middle daughter is just finishing a 6 year AirForce term with 2 deployments to the Middle East. My son in law just finished 8 years in the Air Force with multiple deployments.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    TinmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Thanks to all Veterans for their service. My father and 3 uncles in WWII.
    TinmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    My dad, my hero.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    TinmanSolid_Fuel_Man