Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trucks

happydave
happydave Member Posts: 79
What’s everyone using? Have a sprinter that’s nothing but trouble, new engine, tranny etc. Have new dodges but they seem cheap... any alternatives? All box vans seem to rot at hinges...

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    The company I work for has been in 1 ton GM vans for decades. No they don't get any mileage, but most of them go 200K+ without so much as a brake pad replacement. I hate vans so I got a 2500HD truck last year and am super happy with it so far. 56k on it now and getting 15ish MPG with the 6.0L gas loaded down with tools and material in the contractor topper with side boxes. My residential business I use my personal F150 Platinum to pull an enclosed trailer with all tools and material in it. Keeps the mess out of my truck and I can disconnect in 30 seconds and be off to church if need be. If I were jobbing like I do commercially the trailer would be a PITA, but in rural residential I love it
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I have a mid roof Ford Transit. It works pretty well and fits in DC nicely. Not the most comfortable for a tall person to drive though.

Would love to have a utility body Transit.
    Never stop learning.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    1970 Chevy C10, 1994 Chevy K2500 HD, 2015 Chevy K2500 Siverado HD diesel -- but I'm a general building super, not confined to one trade, and a farmer...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Retired and loving it.
    ratiohappydave
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I've been in a Ford Econoline 250 or 350 most of my career. (Employer owned)
    I'm in a '17 Chevy Express now and I'm not impressed. Huge B pillar blind spot. The engine is a dog. It's been back in already for a tranny leak that left me stranded. And the tranny still hunts. The door on the center console broke the first week.
    A friend has the Transit, low roof, short w.b. Roomy cargo. Cabin is nice. He says they're not great in snow, but what is without 4x4.
    The Dodge ProMaster is front wheel drive. Ugly little bugger but I'd like to give it a drive.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    I've got a 2017 full size chevy Express 2500 2.8 Turbo diesel with about 14,000 miles on it. The diesel pulls just as strong or stronger than the 5.4 gas v-8 in our former 2001 ford e 250 in the city. We get about 19.5 mpg in combined city and highway in Chicago with at least 2500 lbs of cargo at all times. On the highway 30 mpg is easily attainable, 33 if you drive it carefully at around 68 mph. Mileage could easily be better but the 8 speed trans holds gears longer than necessary....i.e. it doesn't shift into 8th until 67 mph. Pay back on the diesel option over the standard engine is about 18 months if you drive around 20,000 miles per year. My business partner drives a 2016 GMC 3500 with the big gas v-8 and he gets around 11.5 mpg combined city and highway. The factory shocks are next to useless.... they cannot control the weight of the vehicle when loaded. We've had a couple issues..... emission controls sooted up, we have had to add a small amount of coolant, the above mentioned trans late shifts ( supposedly this is how they are set up), and the turn signal relay noise comes and goes. We are definitely putting new shocks on soon... probably Bilsteins, since the were still solid with about 150,000 miles on them in our last van. We installed a full cargo area liner with 1/2 duct insulation and a single set of shelves. The liner and insulation really quiet things down and keep the vehicle much, much more comfortable. Also, probably boosts the mileage since the AC and heat don't have to work very hard. In near zero weather the heater has to be turned down because it gets too hot in the van!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I'd like to try out the RamPromaster, tall. Another contractor had one and it was awesome inside. Ugly though.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • happydave
    happydave Member Posts: 79
    We have them , front wheel drive with v6 useless in the snow
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    It sort of funny, our rear wheel drive Chevy is pretty good in snow. However, I bet it is the good Bridgestone tires. Tires make a huge difference. Our Ford with the Goodyear Wranger HT couldn't move in snow or ice.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I have had both Chevy Expresses, and Econolines. In an E250 right now, GM is the only one still making the conventional Van's on typical 1/2-1ton chassis.

The tall Euro style unibodies do seen to be better suited to the service tech, being able to actually stand up and look for the parts you need is huge for this recent back surgery survivor.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I've driven vans for most of my working career. in the current shop it's a ¾ ton Chevy, which is fine for me. A little underpowered with the smaller V8, I'm bouncing off of 5K when I get on the freeway without a good tailwind. My wife's van, E-350 passenger van, does a lot better unless it's loaded down with a ton of kids! I really should switch to something smaller, so I don't carry as much, but all the new offerings are sooo ugly.
  • DanHolohan
    ratio said:

II really should switch to something smaller, so I don't carry as much, but all the new offerings are sooo ugly.

You talking about the wife's van? ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • ratio
    Ha! No, I'm a collector (probable a character flaw). I know it's time to empty the van when she starts to wallow.

I guess we'll be downsizing the wife's van too eventually, but the oldest is just now getting up the gumption to leave the nest, we've got years of toting babies left.

• DanHolohan
    Nice. How many do you have?
    Retired and loving it.
  • ratio
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • DanHolohan
    Well done!
    Retired and loving it.
  • ratio
    Thank you.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    ratio said:

I have 3, 2 of which are twins. My hats off to you sir, I could never do 8.

My wife is one of 14, even she says "how did my parents do it?"
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    We had our four in three years (Erin is a twin). It was interesting, especially during the college years. Multiple Parents Weekends on the same weekend.
    Retired and loving it.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    From work vans to babies................ what a site.
  • DanHolohan
    I was just thinking the same thing!
    Retired and loving it.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Would the connection of vans to babies be:
    If this van's a rockin' don't come a knockin'?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    LOL!
    Retired and loving it.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Some of those vans can see a lot of work.
  • ratio
    Shhh. Don't bother Mommy and Daddy—they're planning a birthday!
    To keep things slightly on topic, when we were looking for a 15 passenger van, I started to price one on the mfgr's website. I gave up at 60k. It suuuure wouldda been nice though. We ended up getting a ≈2yo Econoline from a place called Windy Hill Automotive for less than 1/3 of that. I don't mind plugging 'em. They specialize in big vans & trucks. If you're looking for a van or truck around central/northeastern Ohio, check them out.