Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 404-4ex to Indirect DHW Tank TPI Thermostat

Options
https://www.ecomfort.com/manuals/alliancesl_io_manual.pdf
connecting to
https://file.ac/qhPkptLqjwo/Sage Zone Control Valve Panel Instruction Sheet.pdf

hot rod said:

R & C from the Sage should be 24V, do you have a meter, you can confirm that. So those two go to the two right hand connections on the TPI, that powers it up. No ground, just use the two terminals provided.

What isn't clear is the two left connections on the TPI, I think they are dry contacts, a meter would confirm that since the wiring diagram is not real clear.

If so jumper from Red on the right terminals to either left terminal, that puts you hot leg on the switch, the other left terminal gets white wire back to W on the Sage. That will send the signal back to the Sage, which in turn opens the Z-one.

The Z-one end switch after 15 seconds turns on the call to the boiler, indicator lights on the Sage confirm the Z-one has made it's end switch.

Maybe someone else here knows the TPI and IF the left two connections are a dry contact.

The fact that the wiring schematic shows either 120V or 24V on those connections makes me think it is just dry contacts that you apply power to?
Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
www.afinalsalute.com

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It has to be dry. I would just wire the 2 terminals on the left of tank control to R-W on the sage.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Zman said:

It has to be dry. I would just wire the 2 terminals on the left of tank control to R-W on the sage.

This is what Hot Rod suggested.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/bd/uta81667j5fz.png
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • Zman
    Options
    We are saying the same thing. His diagram is also powering the DHW controller.
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    Options
    Zman said:

We are saying the same thing. His diagram is also powering the DHW controller.

So I should just go ahead and wire it up like his diagram.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • Zman
    Options
    Yes
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesign
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    To know for sure what the left two connections are, either call the manufacturer of the control, ask if they are powered or dry contacts. Or use a multi meter and see what, if anything reads on the left two, when you put 24V one the right two connections.

Just hook up the right side as I show, power up the control, set the temperature up to turn the control on. Either you see 24V on the left two connections, or not. If not, my drawing works fine.

Not much more we can do from afar to help, unless someone familiar with this control pipes up.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    Options
    I have an email in to Taco. They are taking their time getting back with me.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    Taco would have to communicate with TPI, that is where the question is. Unless they have already been down this road and confirmed the operation of the TPI model or version you have.

Usually they add schematics to their wiring guidebook when something new or different comes along, did you look there?

I'm not sure how tech support works when control is private labeled, it varies from company to company, they might send you back to the boiler folks.

Taco is good about monitoring this site, if they have an answer they usually share.

Some manufacturers will ask if you have a test meter, when you call for tech support on an electronic device, if not that is about as far as the call goes :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    cnmdesign
  • Zman
    Options
    It is a dry contact. This is from the manual.

Albert Einstein
    STEVEusaPAcnmdesign
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 706
    Options
    Hi
    If you’re referring to No/Com terminals, they are dry. You can energize them with 120, or 24v. They are normally used for DHE pump. If you have a system pump, you can de-energize system pump using NC terminal too. I’m happy to talk to you today if this is your Sunday project and you still have questions.
    My cell is 401-261-4890
    Tech support at 401-942-8000 can answer your questions Monday morning too.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    cnmdesignErin Holohan Haskell
  • Zman
    Options
    The left terminals on the indirect are the ones being discussed.
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesignJoe Mattiello
  • cnmdesign
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The diagrams on page 15 show a jumper form the right side terminals to the left side.

Hi

If you’re referring to No/Com terminals, they are dry. You can energize them with 120, or 24v. They are normally used for DHE pump. If you have a system pump, you can de-energize system pump using NC terminal too. I’m happy to talk to you today if this is your Sunday project and you still have questions.

My cell is 401-261-4890

Tech support at 401-942-8000 can answer your questions Monday morning too.

Thanks, I have an Alpha 2 ECM that runs all four zones and does not require outside switching or power. I'm connecting a Burnham Sega valve control panal to a Burnham indirect DHW heater TPI thermostat so you would think the two would be compatible.

https://www.ecomfort.com/manuals/alliancesl_io_manual.pdf
    connecting to
    https://file.ac/qhPkptLqjwo/Sage Zone Control Valve Panel Instruction Sheet.pdf

This is one of the suggestions from Hot Rod, if this is correct I will go with this.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/bd/uta81667j5fz.png

Thanks again
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Hot Rod's drawing is the same as the one Zman found from the manual. I think you're safe to wire it that way, jumper and all.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    Options
    hot rod said:

Taco would have to communicate with TPI, that is where the question is. Unless they have already been down this road and confirmed the operation of the TPI model or version you have.

It is a Burnham boiler, Burnham Sage controller and a Burnham indirect with TPI thermostat. Should be all plug and play so to speak.

Usually they add schematics to their wiring guidebook when something new or different comes along, did you look there?

I'm not sure how tech support works when control is private labeled, it varies from company to company, they might send you back to the boiler folks.

Taco is good about monitoring this site, if they have an answer they usually share.

Some manufacturers will ask if you have a test meter, when you call for tech support on an electronic device, if not that is about as far as the call goes :)

www.afinalsalute.com
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 706
    Options
    Ok, thanks. looking at the drawing, they are using the dry switch to energize the zone-valve on demand. the schematic looks like the way to go.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Zmancnmdesign