Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing a Nest Thermostat for heating with an ARGO 6P Zone controller

Options
Replacing a Honeywell 2 wire thermostat with a Nest "Smart" thermostat is causing chattering of the relays. I've been reading forums and called both Nest as well as ARGO for advice. Nest simply told me to run a 3rd wire to the common terminal on the Nest which is a major hassle in an old house. I've also read about installing a local 24 volt power source near the Nest thermostat which is clunky in my opinion. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. Thanks

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I had to pull new t-stat cables when I when from old 2-wire stats to modern programmable stats. It was a pain pulling new wires, but better than running a wall-wart transformer to each t-stat for power.

You can temporarily run any of the new stats off local 24vac transformers till you can pull new cables back to your boiler.

Ironically... when I upgraded to a mod-con boiler, I went back to simple 2-wire t-stats again ;)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    As @NY_Rob says -- take your pick. Or pick one of the battery powered, programmable Honeywells, if you don't need internet connectivity.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Or get an Add a Wire kit. I think Ecobee includes that kit with some of there stats.

https://smartthermostatguide.com/c-wire-venstar-add-a-wire-adapter-review/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTech
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    @hot rod ....

I looked it to that "add a wire kit" and stopped where it stated "Cannot be used as "R" power or "C" common wire. "

If you look at the Q&A on Amazon it states:
    "Unfortunately this cannot be used to turn 2 wires into 3. It is specifically designed for 4-5 or 5-6 situations."
  • gjlian
    gjlian Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts. I'm planning on installing an ARGO IR 882 (isolation relay) alongside the ARGO 6P this weekend. I'm told this will solve the problem. Total cost - $65 for IR 882 + $20 for 120/24 v transformer needed to power the relay. I will post the results on Monday in case anyone is interested.
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ Will the ARGO IR 882 supply power needed for your Nest over the existing 2 wires? I would contact them to be sure.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    NY_Rob said:

@hot rod ....

I looked it to that "add a wire kit" and stopped where it stated "Cannot be used as "R" power or "C" common wire. "

If you look at the Q&A on Amazon it states:
    "Unfortunately this cannot be used to turn 2 wires into 3. It is specifically designed for 4-5 or 5-6 situations."

Good to know, someone suggested there is a kit that can add a common. Maybe wi fi? Is that what Ecobee uses?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gjlian
    Options
    I did speak to ARGO and yes they said it should work. I have a back up plan in case it doesn't but I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    I hope you will post back with results.....
  • gjlian
    Options
    The ARGO isolation relay worked like a charm ! No more chatter :)
    NY_Rob
  • tjmagalhaes
    tjmagalhaes Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Gjlian, I have the same issue. Can you post a photo of the final wiring at the argo boards?