Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finally a boiler pic in a listing.

1887 Kohrs mansion. Helena, MT.
Robert O'BrienCLambTinmanGordykcopp

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Wow! It looks like they've got some gorgeous radiators in there too: http://www.captivatinghouses.com/2018/10/29/1887-kohrs-mansion-for-sale-in-helena-montana/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Turbo Dave
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

Wow! It looks like they've got some gorgeous radiators in there too: http://www.captivatinghouses.com/2018/10/29/1887-kohrs-mansion-for-sale-in-helena-montana/

and @DanHolohan is thinking if he can bring that boiler back to life!

It runs in the family.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I'm smiling at the size of the replacement.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'BrienpecmsgCanucker
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    $895K? Can't get a McMansion here for anywhere near that
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    I was thinking the same thing, Bob. Maybe a house in Levittown?
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'Brien
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

$895K? Can't get a McMansion here for anywhere near that

And if you look at what they put in those McMansions they are worthless while this house is probably undervalued when looking at the materials and finishes.

If you could build that house today, with those materials, for less than 1 million (not counting property) I'd be shocked.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ZmanCanucker
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    I see what looks suspiciously like only 1 riser coming out of that new boiler... wonder how well that's working..
  • DanHolohan
    The rule of thumb for gravity-to-pumped conversions was to take the size of the largest pipe, divide it in half, and then drop down one size from that for the near-boiler piping. There's such little resistance to flow in those gravity systems.
    Retired and loving it.
  • 1Matthias
    @DanHolohan This looks like a 1-pipe steam system, judging by what appear to be vents on these radiators: https://i2.wp.com/www.captivatinghouses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_3995.jpg?w=960
    https://i0.wp.com/www.captivatinghouses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_3996.jpg?w=960

But yeah, gravity to pumped hot water can be remarkably forgiving.
  • DanHolohan
    @1Matthias, of course, you're right. It's steam. I'm having one of those days. I need to return to mono-tasking. Duh.

Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    I want that boiler restored and reconfigured as a gigantic radiator for a very large man cave.. I know it can be done. 😎
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    She’s a beautiful example of dead men craftsmanship of the era. Near 8000 sf on .34 acres......plus carriage house.

@KC_Jones double that figure. Look at the stair case, and trim package.plus heating system. Shocking how small the radiation appears to be.
  • Gordy
    Anyone know what the contraption is stage left of the locomotive block :D

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I think you need to quadruple KC's figure. My house is only 5000 sf and doesn't have anything near the trim and embellishments that one does and my Insurance company says replacement cost is in the $2.8M range, exclusive of any furnishings and they did a fairly detailed walk through to arrive at that number. Market value is a different story.
  • Gordy
    edited October 2018
    CLick on the 1887 Brooke mansion in PA Fred. Double the price at 1.6 million with 19 beds , and 10 baths. Puts this one to shame as far as mill work etc.

The problem is the generations that can afford, and love that kind of construction are dwindling away which is reflected in the asking prices. Two homes of same vintage completely different areas of the country.

Edit: no granite, no car wash showers not interested :(
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    That place screams to be converted into a B&B...
    GordyBrewbeer
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I was waiting for some to ask about the possible cream separator.
    (my best guess anyway)
    Hand operated on the right, flywheel on the left.
    You milk your cows, carry the milk to the separator house/shed, (it is always up hill). Then pour the raw milk into the top bowl, which had a strainer paper to eliminate flies and misc farm solids, that bowl looks like it could be sitting on the floor.
    You turn the crank and centrifugal force separates the light cream (oil/fat) from the milk (waterery).
    Each product comes out of a separate spout.
    Maybe 10 to 1 milk to cream.
    The cream went into a cream can of course.
    The skim milk went into numerous buckets to be carried to calves or pigs....up hill of course.

Then when you get 2-3 10 gallon cream cans full you went to town to sell it. Actually you got barter credit to buy cheese and butter, if you didn't make it yourself.

I don't want to date myself as my cream separator had an electric motor......not crank operated!
    Robomoo
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    The tin ceiling in the kitchen caught my eye.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Canucker
  • WayneMech
    WayneMech Member Posts: 53
    Yes, that is a cream separator! A good portion of my life was spent cranking an old DeLeval! DeLeval also makes Lube Oil Purifiers, which are nearly identical. The principle is the same.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    Beautiful old boiler the only place you will see this in Winnipeg is an old apartment block or a mansion on Westgate. Westgate was the only gated nieghborhood in the history of Winnipeg. The houses were all built by coal or grain barons at that time the 1880's ,we were called the Chicago of the north. I am a little perplexed about the steam supply off the new boiler it is a single pipe off the side? Just my observation. What a beauty, my wife thinks I am a goner in the mental area when I call something like this gorgeous. Each to their own. all the best Jack
  • 1Matthias

Beautiful old boiler the only place you will see this in Winnipeg is an old apartment block or a mansion on Westgate. Westgate was the only gated nieghborhood in the history of Winnipeg. The houses were all built by coal or grain barons at that time the 1880's ,we were called the Chicago of the north. I am a little perplexed about the steam supply off the new boiler it is a single pipe off the side? Just my observation. What a beauty, my wife thinks I am a goner in the mental area when I call something like this gorgeous. Each to their own. all the best Jack

Yep, it looks suspiciously like one single supply line, with a whole van's worth of fittings...