Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IS my Gas heating other Units

Options
trnbakatgate
trnbakatgate Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I live in a condo with 4 other units. The condo use to me rented weekly during the summer and the Land lord paid for the Natural Gas. He decided to rent all the units out yearly and the tenants pay for their own gas.

All of the lines come into the utility room from the meter with the same size pipe. Looks like 1 1/2 inch pipe. My gas line comes in as 1 1/2 in pipe then converts to a larger pipe aprox 2 1/2 - 3 inches. All of the other lines in from the meter stay the same size and go directly to their hot water heaters. I am concerned that my gas line is feeding the other units. How can I know for sure?

Comments

• Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    How many meters are there?
    Can you post some photos?
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    And how many boilers are there to heat the building?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Anarchist1
    Anarchist1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like it was a 3" line feeding all the units teed off from the 3". Now it sounds like landlord has run 3 separate lines to each of the units and is using the 3" line to feed your unit. If it is possible to trace the line directly from your meter to your unit boiler if in a drop ceiling. If nothing else is connected to the line that pretty much guarantees your the only one on your meter. I've had a no heat call for one of my landlords(client) and they had hot water from the new tankless installed by others but no heat. Idiots tied into a line in the ceiling that fed to another tenants rooftop unit. He was getting free hot water for months.
    Anything is possible, hope this helps.
    Dave.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I see 2 easy options:
    Turn off all your gas appliances for a day and see if the meter moves.
    Turn off the gas at the meter and see who complains.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    ChrisJ
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Would like to see a few pictures if you can provide them. Try to send the the piping that is installed and the gas meters. The amount of gas meters to condos served can be a good indicator to begin with. Piping after the meters if you are able to provide picture or two would be helpful