Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wi-fi thermostat on a gas-fired boiler w/baseboard heating

Options
Hi all, I think I have a simple question. Will a wi-fi enabled thermostat work on a gas-fired, hot water boiler with baseboard heating? The reason I ask is because all the literature I read makes reference to furnace rather than boiler. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    It will work. Whether you want to use features such as deep non-occupied setbacks and so on is another question, since they will cost you fuel.

If you do put one in, be sure -- be absolutely sure -- that your wi-fi router is protected by a secure, unique network name andpassword and that the thermostat also is protected by a secure, unique password.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delta T
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    It will work. Whether you want to use features such as deep non-occupied setbacks and so on is another question, since they will cost you fuel.

If you do put one in, be sure -- be absolutely sure -- that your wi-fi router is protected by a secure, unique network name andpassword and that the thermostat also is protected by a secure, unique password.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Inexplicably, over 85% of the USA heats their home with a forced-air furnace. That's why a great deal of literature on things like this seem to speak to that market. It will work fine on your equipment.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    It would need a common wire so may not be a DIY job.