Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Pump Issues

Options
Brl1977
Brl1977 Member Posts: 6

Hey Guys, I've got a big problem. No matter what I do I can't get any flow to my radiant loops. At first I thought the pump was junk but I fear it's way more then that. There is a Taco I-Series 3-way to the left of the pump. Boiler has internal system pump. Air Sep loop has hoy water but that is it. Any help would be awesome. Thanks, Brian

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    one if the ball valves on the manifold is closed. The blue caps need to be open also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Brl1977
    Options
    Hi Hot Rod, I just shut that zone down to see if I could get flow through 1 zone. Manifold valves are all spun out (counter clockwise). I've been told it will never work the way I have it piped and he said I need to pipe it as shown below?? Man I wish I was smarter...

Rich_49Zman
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    I see no way to get flow through the main loop with the air separator in it. The boiler circ will just short cycle back to the boiler and the load circ same thing, since they are both hydraulically separated from the main loop. Piping looks seasoned though, this must have worked at some point?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    put a plug between the bottom set of tees 🤗
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • Brl1977
    Options
    hot rod said:

put a plug between the bottom set of tees 🤗

??? So I should repipe??
    kcopp
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Yes, you need to repipe. I think doing it like the photo you posted is the way to go. Eliminate the mixing valve and use the boilers outdoor reset controls
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Brl1977kcopp
  • Brl1977
    Options
    Thanks Zman! I'll get on it this week/weekend.
  • Brl1977
    Options
    So got it repiped! Filled and got the air out. Turned a loop on, pump came in and nothing again. Pulled the motor out of the housing and pumped it and find out it’s running in reverse? Anyone seen this? Is there a fix?
  • Brl1977
    Options
    So pump was correct rotation, come to find out the internal flow check was installed backwards from the factory. 120 degree glycol is circulating through the concrete
    Zman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    That's great. 120 is probably about right on your design day. I would recommend setting up outdoor reset and seeing how low you can go. I bet the typical heating day only needs to be about 100.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein