Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini Split with HyperHeat

Hello, I have steam heat and when we get those really cold days below say 15F my boiler runs nonstop and has trouble trying to get past 60F . (past 55 in the zero days). I was toying with having a mini split to help on the coldest of days but one AC pro told me that to be honest it won't help on those days? Is this true? I know they say they can heat up to like 30 below but he installs them all the time and says no? Thoughts?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Your steam boiler should be capable of keeping you warm, so as Ratio suggested, post some pictures of the boiler label, above boiler piping, and some radiators.—NBC
    ChrisJGBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited October 2018
    Past 60??? Are you starting off at 40?? are you setting the heat way back?? Steam kicks butt, something in the story is missing big time.

Why do I get the feeling someone cranked the pressuretrol and there's a traffic jam on the hiway?
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I just skimmed through some of your older posts. Have you addressed any of the past issues at all? I saw mention of only have one venrite #35 main vent. I seriously doubt if that is adequate. There is certainly something going on here that isn't correct.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    GBart
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I agree that your steam system should be more than adequate if working properly

For what it’s worth, Mitsubishi hyperheat works very well in cold climates. I’ve done small office buildings with them as a replacement for electric heaters, in Chicago, as the only source of heat.
    Steve Minnich
    IronmanRomanGK_26986764589