Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to drain a Munchkin Boiler

Options
woopud
woopud Member Posts: 10
We will be working out of state this winter and I would like to drain the boiler when we're not there, I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. I turned off the gas, turned off the power switch and shut off the water. When opening the main drain valve or the individual zone valves all I get is a few drops? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and would like some input from the community.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It is probably quite a bit more complicated than that. The munchkin heat exchanger is a coil and probably won't drain. The distribution piping and radiators would need to be drained as well. Unless the installer sloped all the piping, you would need to blow it all out with compressed air.
    You might consider putting glycol in the system instead.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Ironman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Then how about the plumbing in the building?
    That can get involved to drain some setups.

Some keep the heat on at a low setting, shut off the water supply to the building in event of a freeze up the place would not be flooded.

You can get a temp and "wet floor" sensor that you call from your phone to check conditions in the basement as desired.
  • woopud
    Options
    Well, got back home and turned the heat back on. Running fine but I suspect one bad TACO circulating pump. I can replace that myself but still have the same issue, if I unbolt the flanges I will get water everywhere since there's no shutoff valves?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    A picture?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • woopud
    Options
    Got it figured out, running like a champ now. Didn't look good enough before I asked the question.... Each zone has a valve above the pump so I just shut that off, turned off the boiler and replaced the pump. Old pump has a stuck impeller, probably keep it to rebuild someday when I add more zones.