Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien NHB 80 vs Greenstar 100.

Options
DKBERLIN
DKBERLIN Member Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Gas Heating
I live in central CT currently have a quietside (I know JUNK). I don’t think it will last through this winter so I am in the market for a new gas boiler. I had hard water issues in the past so now I have a softener. Believe it or not but that JUNK lasted me 6 years so maybe I’ll call it junk no caps. However due to all the problems I had with it I have learned a valuable lessons. DO YOUR RESEARCH. So I want to replace the boiler and this time I would also either totally isolate the DHW or run an indirect. I live in a 1700 sqft raised ranch 2001 built. I don’t think I need more than 80k btu. Naviens is really popular here but I read somewhere that it is made in Kore in the same factory as my junk. Bosch... I’m not sure if it’s not over engineered like a VW plus heat exchange is aluminum. Both warranties are pretty similar. There are 2 adults and 1 child so I think I need a 50 gal tank. Can anyone help me make up my mind. I have spent a week searching the web for real reviews but mostly you’ll find horro stories. Not too many people write good reviews. I sure didn’t after my junk failed a number of times. The best reaction was when I called for help last winter and I told a service company what boiler I have. LOL

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Look into this unit. Nearly 2 million out there no leakers.
    Only 4 moving parts.
    I have installed many.
    http://www.ibcboiler.com/ibc-products/hc-series/
  • DKBERLIN
    DKBERLIN Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It looks impressive The only thing is when I had the quiet side installed it to looked impressive however they are not in business any more and I have nowhere to get parts. I’m leaning towards a navien because their costumer service seems on point and the amount of boilers installed and the amount of HVAC pros in the area that would help if a problem arises. Plus the Bosch has an aluminum heat exchange. What about a water heater? Indirect or totally isolated? Can anyone share some knowledge. Maybe preference one?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    If I only had those two choices, I'd recommend the Bosch. If you're really enamored with Navien, then look at the NFB Fire tube model.

The contractor is 98% of the equation. Focus on finding a good hydronics contractor. Go with his recommendation.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Ironman said:

If I only had those two choices, I'd recommend the Bosch. If you're really enamored with Navien, then look at the NFB Fire tube model.

The contractor is 98% of the equation. Focus on finding a good hydronics contractor. Go with his recommendation.

What he said! As a contractor, I choose a brand based 20% on the unit itself and 80% based on the support that's available locally. By support I mean a good local rep, STOCKING wholesalers and most importantly, parts availability.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.