Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Added cost of material vs decrease in time and labor. Yes, No, Maybe?

Dropping the loop end under the joist.

Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
www.afinalsalute.com

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It saves some labor. Material stays about the same.You end up giving heat to the crawl space.
    Is drilling a few joists really that big a deal?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesignCanucker
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    TJI's drill really easily with a sharp bit and angle drill. Typically you can drill a 1-1/2" hole anywhere in those. except the top and bottom cord, of course.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    cnmdesignRich_49
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Yes it's little bit of a PIA to work the loops thru the joists, but I'm more concerned about them popping out of the channels and expansion noise when the loops heat up.
    steve
    cnmdesign
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    What I understand you can't drill through those laminated joists by the manufacture
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    cnmdesign
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Big Ed said:

What I understand you can't drill through those laminated joists by the manufacture

Never heard that. The manufacturers do provide guidelines for where holes can go-size, amount, how far from top/bottom chord and how close to the end.
    steve
    CanuckerZmancnmdesign
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    edited September 2018
    Good to know , get the paper work ... Thanks.

Checking some guidelines , allow small round holes only with in the center 1/3 the length of the beam .... He did it the right way not holes near the ends , unless he threaded though the center . hmmm
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    cnmdesign
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @Big Ed
    Here is a typical manual http://www.bc.com/content/uploads/bc-resources/west_spec_complete.pdf

You can drill hole up to 1 1/2" anywhere in the joist as long as you maintain 3" between them. For bigger holes you need to refer to the chart.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    cnmdesign
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I use a hole saw with angle head drill.
    I drill about half way thru one side and do the other side.
    With practice you know when to stop on the second drilling and can knock the plug out of the joist.
    This avoids wedging the plug into the hole saw.

Most of these joists come with pre punched KO's, but are seldom lined up for straight runs.

The large holes are not allowed near the ends as there may be a load bearing wall above and that is the "crush" zone of these.
    cnmdesign
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Psh, running it thru the joists is what makes it fun!
    cnmdesign
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Zman said:

@Big Ed
    Here is a typical manual http://www.bc.com/content/uploads/bc-resources/west_spec_complete.pdf

You can drill hole up to 1 1/2" anywhere in the joist as long as you maintain 3" between them. For bigger holes you need to refer to the chart.

Except Bearing Zones!

cnmdesign
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    pecmsg said:

Zman said:

@Big Ed

Except Bearing Zones!

Most all the TJI type, plywood web joists have 1-1/2" pre-punched holes every 12". The holes can be over bearing walls sometimes. But use the manufacturers "Drilling Guides" to be sure.

The main thing is having the framer line up all the pre punched holes on either top or bottom.

When that happens plumbing and wiring is a cinch, a ballpeen hammer or pipe will pop out those supplied holes.

Web stiffeners should also be used at bearing points, but that rarely happens around here.

Plastic pipe insulators fit in those holes also.

GlueLams or ParalLam are different than TJI joists and have much different drilling limitations.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    cnmdesign