Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Venting

Options
I have a one pipe parallel steam beating system in a Boston row house condo building. Most of the radiators are vented with Hoffman 40's with a few Ventrite #1's in cold rooms and the heat is even in all but my top floor unit, who is complaining it is too hot in her unit. She is claiming it is 104 while the rest of the building is 68 to 70 in the winter, no set backs. She will not let me put anything in her unit to confirm her findings so am suspect. Would there be anything wrong with putting Gordon #4's on large radiators on the top floor, it kind of puts their chart up side down. When I say large they are the same five and six fin radiators as are in the two units below.

She used to have Honeywell TRV's on the radiators which she turned off during the day and on at night, coutner intuitive right. That made the boiler short cycle during the day and pipes bang at night since it didn't have a vacuum breaker. Since I put the 40's on both issues have stopped. I am guessing she want to have independent control of her heat back and the 104 is bogus since I can't imagine there could be a 30 degree difference with the same edr one floor up.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    TR vents shouldn't cause hammering. TR valves will surely do so. Which were they?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Sorry, they were valves.
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    honeywell V2042HSL10 to be exact.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Those should not have caused hammering, as although they are called valves (thanks, Honeywell) they are -- or should have been -- mounted as and used as vents.

Always assuming that the radiator inlet valves were fully open at all times...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    Regardless of what they are called when they were replaced with Hoffman 40's all things went quiet.