Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choosing a water heater

kelchm
kelchm Member Posts: 14
edited June 2018 in Domestic Hot Water
Recently purchased a home which has a 30+ year old electric A.O Smith water heater. I'm planing to replace it next week and I am trying to decide on what water heater I want to purchase.

I'm strongly considering one of the Rheem Performance Platinum Hybrid heaters (XE50T10HD50U1
or XE65T10HD50U1) since they offer some interesting IoT capabilities and also qualify for a $400 rebate from my power company. Based on some back of the napkin math it seems like between the rebate and the higher efficiency, the 50 gallon model would completely pay for itself in roughly three years.

Any thoughts or experience with these units?

EDIT: Wanted to add that I have a oil boiler, but the low cost of electricity in my area (~$0.07/kWh) means it makes little sense to use it for DHW.

Comments

• vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    You have not stated what caused this present tank to fail. If it was me, I'd purchase another exact model as it has a proven history of value for your money. Your back of the napkin math is biased by the rebate that is offered to cloud your vision. Heck my tank is still working great since 1929. Are you in Quebec?
  • Ray_Frechette
    Ray_Frechette Member Posts: 27
    Here in Maine with electricity at .17 a kwh, hybrids make loads of sense. Efficiency Maine provides instant rebate of $750.00 at store so net cost is same as straight electric tank.

The downside is the tank is glass lined so the plan is to likely replace tank in 10 to 15 years.

Your 35 year old tank is likely stone lined to account for it'so life. It is likely heavy too so figure on inviting two friends over and have a "Wheaties" party before hoisting.

At maine electric rates, and after rebate, a hybrid will pay itself off in 1 year with cost savings over straight electric. As a plus it helps dehumidify and cool the space it is located in.

Your calcs are probably spot on, but realize you will not see the same life as the one you are removing.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I did see somewhere a split hybrid WH system. Stand alone HP with water piped into any tank.
    Has anyone seen this?

With the self contained unit I could see either compressor or tank having a premature death, but not at the same time.
    MikeG
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    If you weren't running out of HW before, then fine, hybrid's do not make more HW than electric, they have about the same recovery and output, they are just more efficient.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Whether or not to go with a hybrid depend a lot on your usage pattern and where it is located.

The hybrid gains it's efficiency by taking heat out of the space it is located in and putting it into the tank. Just like a refrigerator or AC. If you are heating the space the hybrid is located in with another source, that kind of needs to be figured into the equation.

The hybrid's heat pump has limited capacity. Traditional electric coils take over when demand is high. When the hybrid is just recovering from minor loads like washing hands or dishes, it runs at high efficiency. When the system is being taxed with loads like filling tubs or long showers, it is no more efficient than a traditional electric heater.

If the rebates available make it worth your while to buy one, by all means do. Just keep in mind that the claimed savings rates are likely a bit overstated for most usages and the maintenance costs will be a bit higher with the hybrid over electric.

Either electric or hybrid will save significantly over oil. Given your local rates,the energy costs will be lower and you will have less standby loss.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    HVACNUT