Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping Diagram

KeenGreen
KeenGreen Member Posts: 27
I have a customer looking for a piping diagram that shows a regular steel boiler (Super Hot 840,000btu)
an indirect tank and a storage tank. This set up will be providing heating and potable water to a 36 unit apartment block. The installer was just trying to get an idea on how to pipe it all together.

Thanks for any help.
Jeff
anu

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    wow what size pipe is that 3 inch? how many zone's are there
  • KeenGreen
    Customer is saying close to 40 zones. Baseboard heating.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    There are some good examples in this journal. I'd look at the two pipe method, the indirect as a load off the tank.

The advantage to two pipe is the entire boiler output could go to the indirect, without involving the buffer tank, if needed. Summer use for example, no need to keep a buffer warm just for DHW.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/coll_attach_file/idronics_17_na.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    KeenGreen
  • KeenGreen
    Thanks Hot Rod. I met you earlier this year.
    Jeff Green
    Wolseley Canada
    Burnaby/Surrey
  • hot_rod
    Sure, I remember. Great area that you live in!
    Let me know if you need any other info. That must be one heck of an indirect to handle 840K, or is it a tank and tube bundle?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    KeenGreen said:

The installer was just trying to get an idea on how to pipe it all together.

Jeff

How does an installer who has no idea how to pipe what you're describing get the job?

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Rich_49ratio1Matthias
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    JohnNY said:

KeenGreen said:

The installer was just trying to get an idea on how to pipe it all together.

Jeff

How does an installer who has no idea how to pipe what you're describing get the job?

Really!
  • hot_rod
    I'd rather see someone ask for advice, as opposed to guessing at the piping. Perhaps looking to better the system piping with new product or methods? That is kinda the premise of this site.

Even industry expert consultants and designers come here for thoughts and opinions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • JohnNY
    Ok. If you want to call a piping diagram "advice"...
    I guess when you spend the kind of time and money some contractors do losing work to low bidders, or you see one bad installation after another, day after day, your perspective on such things tends to change.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Rich_49
  • hot_rod
    JohnNY said:

Ok. If you want to call a piping diagram "advice"...
    I guess when you spend the kind of time and money some contractors do losing work to low bidders, or you see one bad installation after another, day after day, your perspective on such things tends to change.

I understand and feel your pain, I was a contractor for over 30 years myself.

Anyone in any business, anywhere deals with low ballers and substandard work. It's certainly not unique to NYC.
    Many customers demand that :) and may someday be duly rewarded for the decision to go with the low bid.

Although low bid doesn't always mean low quality. Many contractors struggle to arrive at a realistic selling price. Labor rates in our industry range from 50 bucks to over 400 per hour from my observation. And plenty of excellent DIYer jobs have been posted here.

The win for me, and us is the job gets completely properly and to code, if a piping drawing, or free advice from the group here helps with I'm fine.

How about if I add "conceptual drawing" only, hire a P.E. if you need or want an engineered drawing.

I think most viewers here at HH understand you get what you pay for.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    KeenGreen
  • JohnNY
    Thank you, HR. I hope you're enjoying your summer.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes