Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Pottery Kiln

apotter
apotter Member Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Gas Heating
Hi all.
I'm planning to set-up a Nat Gas pottery kiln. The kiln is outdoors but does have a big roof over head, fires 350,000 BTU an hour, about 100' from the meter. Gas company said current meter will do the job.

Is there a safe way to do this hook-up above ground? I live in an area that doesn't have frequent inspections but I do want to do things super safe.
Thanks!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    There is an ANSI Standard for Kilns just not sure what the number is. I will see if I can find out.

When you say above ground please be a little more specific??
    apotter
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    If by above ground you mean running the gas feed pipe above ground? I'm not sure about the code -- @Tim McElwain will get it for you -- but code or no code, I'd not be happy with a gas feed pipe above ground. Sooner or later someone will hit it with something...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    apotter
  • apotter
    Thanks for the replies! I was hoping to run the feed pipe above ground if it can be done in a way that it is safe.
    The ground here is super difficult to dig, rocky, forested (roots) and can be placed away from any kind of foot or other traffic. No lawn to mow etc.
    A 100 ft trench would be a rough project and I don't plan to live here forever.
    The kiln can be run on Propane but I'd much prefer N.Gas. However, if it needs a trench to be considered safe for NG I may just opt to convert the whole thing to Propane.

thanks again.

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Go ask your local building inspector and fire marshall what they would approve or suggest, bring pictures, it's better to be their friend and ask for their help, besides they are the law, they have to follow federal and state regulations but they can add to them.

Any advice you got here would be opinion.
    apotter
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Maybe a steel pipe on some, lets just say for argument, 2' tall stantions that are staked into the ground with rebar, maybe pour some pads and anchor unistrut stands to the concrete pads? Paint the pipe yellow so it is visible and recognizable as gas. I would think that could be done to be fairly safe, though it may be cheaper and easier to just rent a mini excavator and dig the trench. Check with your local authority, but here (in CO) we are only required to bury gas 18" deep.
    apotter
  • apotter
    Thanks all. This did have me check into a power trench digger (looks like a 6 foot chainsaw that you drive) and that does seem reasonable... if the ground is not too much for it to handle.
    thanks!
  • apotter
    @Tim McElwain by above ground I am really thinking whatever is most simple. I had a local guy suggest that with a proper rubber or flex steel pipe we could run it along the ground and out of the way.
    He said it's frequently done as a temporary set-up.
    By out of the way it's of note the the path we would take is steep and thickly vegetated in a way that no one and nothing ever goes there.