Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Some Electrical TRaining

Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
FORCED WARM AIR FURNACE
ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT DIAGRAMS
Electrical circuit diagrams are pictures or maps, which show all components of a circuit in relation to one another. They are the road maps, which show the path of the flow of electricity and are useful in understanding how a particular circuit performs its functions and are essential for troubleshooting appliance electrical troubles

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Two forms of pictorial representations of circuits are commonly used for gas appliances: connection diagrams and schematic diagrams. ANSI standards now require appliance manufacturers to supply both forms.
  • Tim McElwain
    Connection Diagram
    A connection diagram shows the connections of an installation or its component devices or parts. It may cover internal or external connections or both, and contains such detail as is needed to make or trace circuit connections that are involved. The component devices or parts are usually shown in a connection diagram in the actual general physical arrangement. This diagram helps locate the circuit portions on the appliance. The illustration below is a typical connection diagram of a forced air furnace.

• Tim McElwain

• Tim McElwain
    The previous diagram is a Connection Diagram. It has the following controls:
    1. Fan Control Center
    2. Single Seated V800 Honeywell Gas Valve
    Honeywell L4064 Fan/Limit control (temperature on temperature off)
    3. Blower Motor
    4. The thermostat would be wired to "R" and "W" if the Control Center is used on a boiler the thermostaat would be wired to "R" and "G".
    This is an older system found on a lot of warm air systems. Warm air systems today use an Electronic Fan Timer (Time on Time off) for control of the system blower.
  • Tim McElwain
    Fan Control Center
    The use of a Fan Control Center on a warm air furnace is a convenient place to connect wires and also makes for easier troubleshooting. The transformer has the wiring connections attached. The "R" and "C" terminals are your only actual voltage connections. The other terminals are for wiring connections. On warm air systems the thermostat is typically wired to the R and W terminals.
  • Tim McElwain
    I was posting this same info on another place on the internet and was told it is confusing and to stop posting it. Let me know if you are interested in this type of training here on Heating Help. I guess I am getting old and am perhaps out of touch with how folks are looking at training on the internet. If it is helping anyone I will keep posting if not then they can take it down.
  • Electronics are my weak point. I'd love to learn more.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    The more discussion the better! If it's confusing, ask. I really like to explain things in a way that gets the point across, but I can't tell through the internets if it's getting there or not.
  • Tim McElwain
    No interest I guess everyone is checked out on all the electrical and electronic controls.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I love electrical!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    They say that 70-80% of HVAC service calls are electrical related. I have always found that technicians that understand electrical can learn anything if they want too.

Those that cant understand electrical usually struggle in all areas.

People should take advantage of Tim's training. I read his articles all the time...excellent.
    Solid_Fuel_Manratio
  • My LG flat screen TV takes 20 minutes to warm up and turn on like when I was a kid. Seems that they used cheap capacitors and they wear out after 10 years or so. I bought the capacitor kit to replace them, but my circuit board soldering skills are nil.

I'm the service rep. for Steamist in my area and the last steam generator I worked on was 480 volt, 3 phase. My wife always comes with me on these calls to make sure I turn the power off before I stick my hands in these machines. The rep. before me electrocuted himself to death.

You can't help but learn more about electricity when you install hydronics; rectification (AC to DC), safety train, ignition control modules, aquastats and if you don't understand how these work, you won't get the boiler fired and you won't get paid.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Electrical work is so basic EVERYONE should know it if they want to be successful. If you know it then with the schematic you can second guess what they are doing and come up with your own tests to solve the problem.
    Solid_Fuel_Man