Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving Gas Meter

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
edited May 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
The utility came today and tried to install their new smart meter but there wasn't enough room within the utility access panel. They're going to figure something out and get back to me. The existing setup is a few inches too far right for the newer larger unit to fit in. Can't really mess with the woodwork as there's a vertical beam on the right. Plumbing wise is it doable to cut in some nipples/elbows or somehow swivel it to the left a bit? See photos.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Looks pretty tight.
    Can the meter be moved outdoors?. That would be the best idea. need to take pictures from further back so we have a better view
    kcoppD107
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Surprised its still inside. Many have been re-run out side as they upgrade services.
    D107
  • D107
    edited May 2018
    @EBEBRATT-Ed @kcopp These additional photos may not help any. Many meters were moved outside, but utility no longer pays for this, however now that we have this problem perhaps they'll be more amenable. Smart meter doesn't really do anything for me. If they do move it outside it would be to a place to the left of the meter by about 10 ft. Since they wouldn't likely want to move the street connection 10 ft laterally as well and dig a new trench from there, they would probably end up trenching at the house, cutting the line and running a 90EL then another 90 then some more turns within and between the gas valve and meter.

My concern would then be lessening the flow of the gas. Meter is rated at 275mbh 3/4" line outside and in. Current total draw between boiler, hwh, dryer and (stove max all burners and oven on) is 287mbh but with a new boiler with indirect that would likely be reduced by 70 to 100 mbh. Inside should probably be one inch pipe for the 20ft run to the boiler, hwh, etc.

Perhaps I could come up with some safety or access reasons for them to move it outside. Only problem with outside is --I've seen my neighbor's--is that they start to rust and the utility doesn't really maintain them.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Whatever -- let the gas company figure it out. It's their puppy, after all. I'd move it outside.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yeah, @Jamie Hall is right . Gas co wants the smart meter let them pick up the tab or they can leave it as is
    D107Canucker
  • D107
    @EBEBRATT-Ed For sure it'll be on their bill...so no flow issues if they end up adding a few 90 els to the line to relocate it? Maybe pressure regulator can be adjusted if necessary?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I don’t see any pressure drop issues if they alter it. They should just 86 the meter bar and create the spread with pipe/fittings.
    D107
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    If they are doing it, ask them to put the whole
    System under a pressure test. They are putting wrenches on 80 year old pipes! If not, the repairs will be on you. Mad Dog
    D107GBart
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    The repairs are on him regardless @Mad Dog, no? If they do put it under pressure be prepared for leaks. It’s tested at 10 times it’s working pressure so even if it doesn’t leak now, you’ll make it leak lol.
    D107
  • D107
    edited May 2018
    They changed out the meter over a decade ago with no problems as far as I know--don't recall them pressure-testing at all.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Depends on the utility and where he lives. Mad Dog
  • D107
    edited May 2018
    So I spoke with the utility today--they believe it's my responsibility to 'remove the obstruction' of the meter so they can replace it since they believe the framing around it was done after the meter was installed. They seemed amenable to my claims that plumbers I had spoken to --meaning wallies comments above--opined that the meter piping could be redone and thereby moved to the left and fit in. Based on the photos above, does it seem to you all that a plumber would have enough room to work in to redo that piping? They expressed the possibility that the utility would pay for that.