Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Let's help Rick and Tanya

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,272
edited May 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
In the 20 years that this forum has been around, one of the things that stands out most is how Wallies go out of their way to help one another. Most days it's about the work, but occasionally life will throw one of us an unbearable curveball. That's when I've seen this community come together to help that person and lift them up.

Tanya, the wife of our friend @rick in Alaska, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. This is the third time their family has battled cancer. Years back, Rick beat Stage 4B Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Tanya beat thyroid cancer. And with all that's been going on in their lives, they've managed to help others in need. They are an inspiration.

Tanya and Rick live in Alaska, but Tanya's treatments are in Seattle. They are now faced with paying for their home in Alaska, a small apartment for Tanya in Seattle, and Rick's travel back-and-forth.

So let's get together and help our friends. Here's how.

President
HeatingHelp.com

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,268
    Erin, you're doing a very good thing. I'm in!

Yours, Larry
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks for helping, Larry!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,451
    Im in Good Luck and God Bless
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, Ray!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    Done.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,821
    Will Do. Prayers coming their way. Mad Dog
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thank you so much!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,405
    Done. Life is not fair.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    edited May 2018
    Best heartfelt wishes for Rick and Tanya......
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I want to thank you for putting this up for us, and everyone who is here to support us. It is very humbling for me. This is a great community to be involved with, and makes this even more special since I have only met four people off this site.
    It looks like we will be 4-8 months doing this, so will be long road. Luckily, both of us are stubborn and don’t give up easily, and we have great attitudes. It will be a new journey, but we are up for it.
    Thanks for everything.
    Rick and Tanya
    SeanBeansRoohollah
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
    I'm in. Stay strong, Rick and Tanya.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I'm in Too. Prayers for a speedy recovery
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    We're in your corner, Rick and Tanya.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    rick in Alaska
  • DanHolohan
    This close to $2,000!
    Retired and loving it.
  • rick in Alaska
    Finally got my computer fixed, which makes it much easier to send replies.
    I just want to say thank you very much for the help everyone has given. It is very much appreciated.
    Rick and Tanya Norvell
  • DanHolohan
    I've always believed that when a friend is in trouble the only correct thing to say is, "How can I help?"

Thanks for letting us know how, Rick.
    Retired and loving it.
    rick in Alaska
  • Erin Holohan Haskell

I've always believed that when a friend is in trouble the only correct thing to say is, "How can I help?"

Thanks for letting us know how, Rick.

Well said!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Rick, best of luck to you guys and the strength to see it through. Let us know if there's anything more we can do to help.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Back in 2002 my wife had a serious stroke that put her in a coma. Dan found out and as his way of helping, auctioned off many of his old books on The Wall... the ones he used to make a living from, so he could give me the money to help out! No doubt some of you remember.
    So, as a way of giving back, I'd like to propose that I'll match any $ anyone here gives to Rick and Tanya. They have a $6000 goal and are just under $2000 at present. So, a bit over $4000 is remaining. You folks come up with $2000 and I'll do the same. Rick has been a real asset here and we can help him.

Yours, Larry
    rick in Alaska
  • DanHolohan
    This is beautiful, Larry. Thanks so much.

Guys, please help our friend, Rick now. It's the right thing to do. Thanks.

Dan
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Wow, Larry. I'm speechless. What a kind and generous offer!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    A warm thank you letter, such a pleasant surprise.
  • DanHolohan
    Sharing a note from Tanya:

Hello everyone, I just cannot tell you how much your support means to us. I wanted to send out a quick update. The reconstructive surgery that I have chosen will be done with my own body. No implants. I have lost over 50 pound in the past 20 months however the doctor has told me I cannot lose any more weight or we won’t be able to do that surgery, I would have to have implants if I lose any more weight. My surgery is scheduled for June 18th. This will give me a chance to stabilize my weight as I continue to lose a pound every couple days. Ordinarily I would be doing the happiest happy dance ever to be losing more weight but not so much right now. I will be going home for a little bit before the surgery ( thank you Alaska Airlines Miles) This will allow me to get things lined out for Rick and some of our friends who will be looking after our vacation rental while I am here. I will also be doing my best to get my weight back up to a steady 148 pounds. I may even get to do a little bit of glass work in my studio before I come back to Seattle for my first surgery and begin chemotherapy. Thank you again to all who are supporting us with words of encouragement, offers of help, and the contributions that are making it possible for us to pay the added $2500 a month in additional living expenses for me to stay here for treatments. We are so very blessed to have you all in our lives.
    Help spread the word!

Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,405
    @Larry Weingarten

That's really pretty big Larry.

I am in again.
    Lost my wife to cancer over 10 years ago. No one should have to go through that.
    Larry WeingartenMikeL_2
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,363
    I'm in again, too.
    If 19 more people would give $100, plus what Larry promised, that would be $4,000. We can do this.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Larry Weingarten
  • rick in Alaska
    I can't tell you how awesome you guys are. Thank you very much.
    Rick
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hello, @EBEBRATT-Ed , @Ironman and @Docfletcher . I totaled up what you just gave and added what I think you gave before and just put that much in for Rick and Tanya. We're getting closer, just over half way there now! B)

Yours, Larry
    rick in AlaskaIronman
  • DanHolohan
    $3,115 so far! C'mon, guys. We can do this. Kick in a buck or two. Don't be shy. Step up and help a good friend. We'll do the same for you when you need it.
    Retired and loving it.
    Ironman
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,611
    My check is on the way. I am also praying for both of you and asking Jesus to heal you. By HIS stripes you are healed!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, @Tim McElwain!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Here's an update from Rick and Tanya:

Dear Heating Help Family,

This is Rick Norvell’s wife Tanya. I want each and every one of you to know what a difference you are making in our lives during this time. As you know this is our third time around with 3 different cancers, first Rick, then me, now me again. We are so blessed to have such a caring bunch of family and friends. So many of our friends we have never even met in person which makes your generosity, prayers and concerns all the more amazing.

It seems to me that the words Thank You are wholly insufficient to express our gratitude to all of you.

I would like you all to know what a difference you are making in our lives on a daily basis. I will be here (in Seattle) by myself for the majority of my treatments as we are the epitome of small business, it’s just Rick and me at Orca Specialties Inc. So, as so many of you know who are in similar situations, if we don’t work we make no money. This has caused much added stress as Rick cannot be with me during the entire process and the expense of traveling back and forth is huge. This makes us both very sad because we have rarely been apart during our 32 years together. We are however both quite stubborn (Irish,Welsh and Norwegian…a more stubborn mix is hard to find :-) ). Having been here twice before we are blessed with knowing much of what we are facing. It makes it much less scary as we are already aware of chemo side effects and such. This one is a bit different as there are major surgeries involved so that changes it up a bit but as weird as it may sound, we feel blessed to have a track record in much of the process.

It costs just over $1,000 for a round trip ticket for Rick to come visit and $1,520 a month for my wonderful little furnished studio apartment. Your contributions are making it possible for Rick to come down a couple times during my treatment and will help to keep me in the apartment while I am here. Again, I cannot possibly express to you what a difference you are all making every day for us.

Every time we get a notification that someone has visited the https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tanyanorvell to see how we are doing it makes us smile and makes my heart happy. Every single visit, signing of the guest book, kind words of encouragement, donation of Alaska Air Miles, monetary support… makes our days brighter. It is a gift we will never be able to re-pay.

We are firm believers in “paying it forward” and as we both plan on living very long lives we will be gratefully paying it forward for a very long time.

Blessings to all of you and those you love,

Tanya Norvell
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Ironman
  • DanHolohan
    edited May 2018
    No one chooses to be in a position like this. We're at $3,615 now. Thanks to all of you who are helping. That's what friends are for.
    Retired and loving it.
    Roohollah
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    I'm in again. I've reaped so much free information here, at times I feel guilty........
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks for getting it, Mike.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    $3,640. Thanks! We're getting close. Please help if you can.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, @MikeL!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,611
    In addition to helping financially there is more you can do. That is pray for a healing. The scripture says" The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." and "By His stripes (speaking of Jesus being beaten before the cross) we are healed."
    Roohollah
  • DanHolohan
    Still at $3,640. Please help Rick be with Tanya as much as possible as she goes through this. I pray that this never visits you and yours. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I've met Rick in person and he is a swell guy. I've seen him donate his money time and again to help the less fortunate get heat during the winter when they were in a bad way.
    MikeL_2
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks to all of you who GET this and are stepping up. That’s what we’ve always done here. We help each other. There’s an urgency to RIck and Tanya’s need. Please help them reach this goal soon. Cancer sucks.
    Retired and loving it.
    Roohollah