Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water still comes out of indirect water heater even with incoming water valve off

Hi,

We have a Buderus S120 indirect water heater. Noticed the water is brown so I flushed the tank. One thing I noticed was when I shut the main incoming water valve off to the tank, I still got water pressure (lower) and water was still coming out of flush valve. The only way to stop water from coming in was to turn water off at boiler.

Does this mean the coil in the water heater is leaking?

Thanks,
Rick

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Yup...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    lchmbkcoppZman1Matthias
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yup...
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Ditto
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2018
    I had something like this with a regular hot water heater (not indirect). The tank had spring a leak, and even with the inlet valve shut off there was still water coming out the top under slight pressure. I had to shut off the main water for the house to get it to stop.

Turned out that one (edit: or both) of the showers had a valve that was allowing incoming cold water to backflow into the hot water lines back to the leaking heater. even when the shower itself was off. When I had the heater replaced I told them to put a shutoff valve in the outlet line as well as the inlet line, just in case this happens again.
    HomerJSmith
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Shalom said:

I had something like this with a regular hot water heater (not indirect). The tank had spring a leak, and even with the inlet valve shut off there was still water coming out the top under slight pressure. I had to shut off the main water for the house to get it to stop.

Turned out that one (edit: or both) of the showers had a valve that was allowing incoming cold water to backflow into the hot water lines back to the leaking heater. even when the shower itself was off. When I had the heater replaced I told them to put a shutoff valve in the outlet line as well as the inlet line, just in case this happens again.

That can happen. In this case turning off the boiler is the real clue. The coil is a leakin :s
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    HomerJSmith
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited April 2018
    One would have to watch the tridicator to see if the pressure in the boiler dropped when the cold water feed valve to the boiler was shut off.

You would need to drain the indirect tank first. Be sure and open several hot water taps in the house to prevent a vacuum build up in the indirect tank, which could collapse the interior shell of the tank.