Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lennox lennox GCS10X-513-75-1Y compressor failure

Hello All,

I have an older 4 ton, three phase unit with a failed compressor and three HVAC companies insist on swapping out the whole unit. There are 15 more units up top and the replacement costs would bankrupt me for sure. What are the cons of simply replacing the compressor unit? The other units all seem to be working fine so I'm assuming I could get a few more years out of them. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    If you swap the compressor, you'll still have a 15+ year old unit. You might get a few more years out of it, but you may not get even a few more weeks out of it—at that age, you just can't tell.

Read this thread for some of the pitfalls of making major repairs on old equipment in an attempt to save a few bucks.

kimsinginternational
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Sorry but A/ C is a luxury not a necessity.
    Older unit? How many years is too many? We didn’t mandate the new energy codes the government did. Blame them for the added cost of replacement!
    kimsinginternational
  • Is there a source for new compressor units for the Lennox GCS10X-513-75-1Y compressor or am I looking to retrofit?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Generally what I look at is the history and condition of the unit. If the condenser coil and evaporator coil and piping are good, no excessive history of leaks then the compressor could be changed if everything else is in good condition.

With today's labor rates, the cost of repairs can exceed the value of the unit if the unit has multiple issues.

You would have to get the model and serial # of the compressor itself and search out a replacement.

2 things to think about:

1. Compressors don't go bad. If you replace the compressor without knowing why it failed...the replacement is sure to fail.
    2. The contractors may feel the unit will cost to much to repair and is not worthwhile fixing
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    The contractor should look at the heat exchanger carefully. In a gas pack, they don't last nearly as long as in a gas furnace. As for getting the compressor, your contractor would have sources to do that.
    JUGHNE
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    What type of failure? Electrical a mechanical. Have to try and find cause if possible before replacement. Sometimes you need a working unit to determine cause so you could be looking at more repairs after replacement of compressor. That said I would lean toward replacement of compressor if unit has been mostly trouble free. Any four ton three phase compressor will work.