Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trion Air Bear. Conflicting info?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused at this point.

First, I read this PDF by Trion which, if I understood it correctly implies charged filters aren't worth it, and yet best I can tell the MERV 11 and 13 filters they sell for the Airbear are charged media.

https://www.trioniaq.com/getfile2.aspx?fileid=9124

So did I understand correctly, the PDF they have on the AirBear site, basically says not to buy their MERV 11 and 13 filter?

Next, is the pressure drop data which doesn't agree. I have 3 PDFs from them, each with different data for the same filters.

Only the last one lists the MERV 13 filter, but the data for the 8 and 11 seems different on each of those 3.

I was all Gung-ho to buy a MERV 11 for my Air Bear until I read their report which basically says it's a worthless gimmick. Did I misunderstand?

@Gordy You're good at reading data. What are your thoughts?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Gordy's not in right now but here is my 2 cents. I would stick to standard 1" filters unless you have allergy's bad enough to see a doctor about. The extra money you spend on those filters would be much better spent on beer. I know beer won't solve all your problems but neither will milk.
    ChrisJSuperTech
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2018
    unclejohn said:

Gordy's not in right now but here is my 2 cents. I would stick to standard 1" filters unless you have allergy's bad enough to see a doctor about. The extra money you spend on those filters would be much better spent on beer. I know beer won't solve all your problems but neither will milk.

Already have a 20x25x5" housing installed. I also have 1" filter grills installed, but I found the 1" filters to be too restrictive for my liking, even with 800 square inches of surface area.

The 20x25x5 is far better. Keep in mind, the thickness allows larger pleats, which gives more surface area. It doesn't mean a higher MERV.

Also, I don't drink. ;)

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I have the Air Bear installed (for the last 25 years) I use their Merv 8, which is what they recommended when I bought the unit.
    ChrisJ
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Sis has a bear built into her return ductwork. I change it annually though sometimes it doesn't look so bad. After about 12 years we had to yank the system to repair the supply duct in the garage slab. That evap coil looked like the day it was installed, not a spec of dust on it. Plus the static drop on the 4 & 5" medias is a LOT less than a 1" pleated filter.

At our office, we have a 213 media, the upgrade to the old Space Gard. 1600 CFM. One time I let it go too long and it was filthy. Static drop over it was .29" which was surprisingly low. Clean 213 had a drop of .23" so the plugged filter wasn't hurting too much. By comparison, a 1" MERV 7 pleated CLEAN was .5" which is why we strongly urge every customer to buy some kind of media cleaner.
    ChrisJSuperTechGordy
  • ChrisJ

Sis has a bear built into her return ductwork. I change it annually though sometimes it doesn't look so bad. After about 12 years we had to yank the system to repair the supply duct in the garage slab. That evap coil looked like the day it was installed, not a spec of dust on it. Plus the static drop on the 4 & 5" medias is a LOT less than a 1" pleated filter.

At our office, we have a 213 media, the upgrade to the old Space Gard. 1600 CFM. One time I let it go too long and it was filthy. Static drop over it was .29" which was surprisingly low. Clean 213 had a drop of .23" so the plugged filter wasn't hurting too much. By comparison, a 1" MERV 7 pleated CLEAN was .5" which is why we strongly urge every customer to buy some kind of media cleaner.

Is your sis using the standard MERV 8?

That's what's in mine, and I'm more concerned about keeping my evap clean than anything else.

One of the reasons I installed the AirBear last minute was I hated how much leakage the filter grills had around the filters. Then I look at an AIrBear and it's got gaskets on the filter.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @ChrisJ , I replaced a 25 year old Trane central air three years ago. The evap and the heat exchanger in the furnace were immaculate. I've used the Merv 8 since day one. They do the job.
    ChrisJ
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    @ChrisJ I read, and interpret the data as you understand it. I would stick with the MERV 8.cheaper, and as they say you really don’t know what happens over time with the electrical charge.

I don’t know the cost difference between the three, but some things to think about in MERV selection are what’s in the house, or could get in that bothers your respiratory system. Example do you have the windows open often allowing outside pollutants,pollen and dust in the house. Do you have pets. A lot of carpet, and number of occupants, and activity that stirs up dust.

I pretty much think most of the time your home is closed up in the cooling season Chris.

I’m all for well filtered forces air systems. It not only keeps the house cleaner, but also as noted it preserves the system components from dirt on the supply side of the filter.

Another thought i have. Wouldn’t a filter trap more partials as it progressively gets dirtier up to the point where your static pressure Starts to drop?

Since you have a magnahelic in your system it’s a nice option to get the most out of your filters.
  • Gordy
    I think the higher MERV filters are gimmicks, they play on the people who are anal about dust, and or have respiratory issues. It gives them an option to make them feel content.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I have bad allergies. I run a couple of portable heap air cleaners 24/7. Our place is clean but the amount of stuff these thing filter out is unbelievable
  • Gordy
    Human skin dander, pet dander is what makes up dust along with lint from laundry, and carpet fibers. If your windows are open then there is a whole other bunch of other particulate matter.
  • ChrisJ
    Difference in cost between the AirBear MERV 8 and MERV 11 is around $5.

Like I said, I'm more concerned about keeping the evaporator clean than anything else.

Yes, I keep the house closed up 90% of the year, however infiltration is a big problem due to the way the house and it's windows are built.

My air exchange rate is on the low side for a public building with 200 people in it. :p

Of course, we only have 5 people here, so, you know.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I’ve installed air bears on all of my last 4 New hvac units. I find the large filters on my small 2 ton systems have extremely low static pressure so they save energy on a VS blower and filters last 1 year. I usually go to the 11 or 13 since I only use one a year and I bring in outside air tonhe unit through a merv 8 filter box and my return is near the floor. Also have a lot of infiltration and it’s a older home. 110 years of dust. I think it helps a little extra.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Media air filters can be confusing. First, there are the "electrostatic" type, which have a slight electric charge to attract particles. They do work, but tend to lose the charge over time and on highly humid days. The 1" disposables are only effective at keeping large dust bunnies, thread and other big stuff out of the equipment. They have no air quality value. Media filters from various manufacturers all go up from there, with the MERV rating determining what effect they have on particles. The higher the MERV, the more particles are removed. True HEPA media filters meet special standard that are measured by counting dioctylphthalte particles in the air stream. HEPAS remove 99.9 % of those particles. They need to have attention paid to the ductwork and fan sizing , since they load quickly. All media filters need to be changed frequently, depending on their use. They have no effect on gases or vapors. There are special "CPZ" (charcoal, potassium permangenate and zeolite) filters that do remove such contaminants, but they must be changed regularly, since if they get saturated, they can release the contaminants back into the space. Electronic air cleaners use charged plates to remove very fine particulates and smoke. They are wash in a dishwasher to clean them, and the prefilters are cleaned with hot water and simple green. Electronic air cleaners have no effect on gases, vapors or odors.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Do the "electrostatic" filters get their charge by the simple factor of air flowing over a particular media builds up a charge.
    I can't understand how they come with a charge right out of the box.

I have regretted every electronic air cleaner I have ever installed.
    If they fail there is no indicator to the HO until dust is on things.
    The pre-filter does a little, but not much.
    They are high maint for the HO and often ignored.

The washable "electrostatic" were also high maint.
    HO would just rinse them off so the surface looked clean.
    That created mud on the inside.
    They almost need power washing with the garden hose....that won't happen in the winter.....again ignored.

But when there is a supply of replacements next to the AH, regardless of type, HO may change them as needed.
    Tinman