Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Regulator position

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
Anyone ever seen an installation on a LP gas regulator in this position? I thought it odd. Would/ could it cause fluctuations in the gas pressure?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    makes it easy to get to the tap. Might be tough to adjust. Seen it a few times.. I dont believe it should effect the performance..the biggest thing it to make sure the vent will drain of any moisture..
    kcopp
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    if you are having fluctuations in pressure, the valve could be going bad, there should be another by the unit
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    That might be the entire LP reg set up.
    It looks like a combo.....2 regs.
    Lbs to Lbs on the left then the right part of it is LBs to inches.
    Might use this if tank is close to load or load not so big.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    The upside down regulator shouldn't be a problem, although you may want to check the mfgr's paperworks in case they disallow it. I've used many regulators in this position, it's only an issue if there's no clearance to get in to adjust it. In fact, turning the regulator upside down is the easiest fix when the plumber's helper uses an indoor regulator outside with the vent pointed up.
  • kcopp
    Just a thought.
    3 yr old boiler. no issues....until they ran out of gas in January. Now they get a sporadic resonation at times. Combustion numbers look ok. Monometer stayed steady (9.5" wc) under a massive load... (boiler, furnace, oven and fireplace)
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Not much experience with LP, but it sure sounds like it sucked something up into the system. If something is resonating at audible frequencies in the gas supply, you might not see it on a manometer.

Have you caught it doing it? It probably only happens at a specific flow, it may go away if the flow increases.

• kcopp
    edited March 2018
    I have not seen it. I have a video from the owner.... no rhyme or reason...
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Ask the supplier to replace the regulator. And never hurts to put a little methanol in the tank at the same time.. what was your lockup pressure and static pressure on the regulator? I like 12.5 to 13 static and flow no lower than 10"... I generally aim for 10.5"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The Rego book I have suggests the vent port should point down. But we commonly see vent ports horizontal. Under cover it may not be as critical.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream