Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Old Control

Going though some old books and papers , I figured to post this pamphlet before it gets lost again ..
I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Pretty cool @Big Ed Maybe Erin would like a scan of the entire book for the site.
    steve
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Great stuff, Big Ed.

Think of today's younger home owner's,
    Could they manage that and also keep the coal burning?

I would find it tedious and another daily chore to perform, but having been cold with frozen water because the fire went out one just does it.

Some are challenged by an air filter.
    This all goes back to the hands on of anything training missing from education/life in general.
  • AnthraciteEnergetics
    AnthraciteEnergetics Member Posts: 77
    "Think of today's younger home owner"

I know a few old ones that could't do it either. Too many years of running a rat race. It seems that technology intended to reduce the amount of labor has only managed to change the form of labor. And some might say it has increased the amount.

It's hard to imagine having strings and pulleys all over the basement to control the boiler through mechanical linkages.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yup, and back then the housewife ran the boiler as the husband was at work.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    And once the thermostat was installed the living room ,the Men took control :). Why the wifi sells...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    ratioErin Holohan Haskell
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    That’s what the live in servant was for. Nanny for the kids and cooking and laundry duty so a good Victorian housewife could drink tea, visit friends, read books and gossip, spread vicious rumors and indiscretions. Maybe even take on a lover.

My kitchen had service stairs that go to a room right next to the boiler. Next to the boiler room was a coal bunker room, with larder hopper window leading to the driveway. Then an extra set of narrow spiral steps led to the 2nd floor where I believe the nursery was. Then they continued to the attic where I think the servants quarters were. Really hot in summer, but probably not as bad when it had a slate roof which radiated and reflected most sunshine and had a small air gap as well, compared to cheaper, inferior and disposable asphalt shingles.

Original owners was a prominent and leading local attorney.