Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

smart outlets

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
edited March 2018 in Radiant Heating
Has anyone used the 110v outlets that can be activated/ powered up by way of an app on your smartphone?
What brands have you used and/ or like?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I haven't, but I have used the plug in by NetGear
    steve
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I have an Insignia one bought from Best Buy powering my snowmelt pump at home. It's only been used 6-8 times but is 2 years old and has worked great when I need it. Easy to operate from anywhere with the app.
    kcopp
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    I have used the TP link Kasa line. 2 plugs for 24 dollars at Walmart. They work great!
    kcopp
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    I've had no trouble with a few wemo outlets that are about 5 years old, and they had a couple 2-3 month stints sitting in a box in a garage. I recently got a samsung smartthings plug, which I haven't used for more than 2 months but so far so good.

I think the more important part is the ecosystem in which you intend to use the device - and what other devices you might want to add in the future. I'm really pleased with Smartthings so far. It works well out of the box without customization and there are a bunch of devices & sensors off the shelf, but if you want something out-of-the-box it is capable of lots of customizing. And Samsung does a great job making sure it is up-to-date. I'm sure similiar could be said for Alexa, Google assistant, and Apple home whatever-its-called... I haven't used those.

With a little luck and more free time I will soon be connecting a pressure sensor through a Raspberry Pi & Smartthings to alert me when my boiler pressure drops below 12
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Just please keep in mind that all of these devices which connect to the internet -- the "Internet of Things" -- have, or should have, customizable passwords and authorizations.

If it doesn't have a customizable password system, don't buy it.

Do it. The password doesn't have to be fancy, but it also shouldn't be obvious -- and you should never leave it at the factory default. Not only will changing it protect you, it protects the rest of the internet and your privacy as well.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ratio