Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED HELP! Gas Buderus boiler

Karamf
Karamf Member Posts: 8
Hello folks,

I have a buderus boiler that's in great shape but been having issues with it all Winter.

For some reason.. randomly the heat stops working at my house. The only way to get it going again, is to reset the Emergency Switch.

Even though this method is an easy fix, it's not very convenient when i'm out of town and start worrying about the pipes bursting.

We at first thought it was the Nest Thermostat (which replacing it made it work for a week flawlessly) but not it since we're apparently back at the issue.

I've had another pair of plumbers try and figure out the issue(GEM), and they suggested next time it goes to press the relay(which was replaced a year ago). Not sure how well this method works because it's essentially just resetting the boiler similar to the emergency switch method.

It's a 2 Zone setup, Would hate to start replacing parts left and right because it could really add up fairly quickly.

I have GEM coming for the 3rd time tomorrow. My original plumber couldn't figure it out, GEM can't pinpoint the issue... any help would be great.

Thank you,

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Can you post some pictures of the equipment when it is malfunctioning? That would be a huge help when trying to figure out what the problem is.
  • Karamf
    No problem. Pictures unfortunately will not make a difference when it's running or not running. I unfortunately do not have a gauge setup either to see what's going on in that end. :sweat:

I will take pictures of the setup when i get home from lunch and post. Thank you for your reply SuperTech
    SuperTech
  • Karamf

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Honestly, since replacing the Nest once apparently resolved the problem for week, I would try substituting a plain vanilla thermostat for the Nest -- something simple -- for a while and see if the problem crops up again.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rick in Alaska
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    when you had no heat was the boiler doing anything? Inducer motor running? Circulator running? Any action at all?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I can't say with 100% certainty what it is without checking with a multimeter, but if I had to take a guess based on what you described and what I see in the pictures I think your problems are related to the zone valves. I have seen intermittent issues caused by the end switches having worn out contact points or the valve not opening or closing completely due to the mechanical components get gunked up or worn down.

It would be great to open up that boiler and check inside too. Sometimes a control might be showing an error code. But it's a tight squeeze to get into that boiler apparently.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    It’s a basic boiler, it normally is easier to diagnose.

If you don’t have a zone control ( do you?) then simply feel the lever on the zone valve, is it sliding back and forth (when it’s calling for heat)?

And, when you reset the power, does the boiler start immediately? That may mean something else

Like mentioned, maybe it’s the Nests. Do the nests have C wires?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    it should have an control board. ,, is it flashing an error code
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    kcopp
  • Karamf
    > @lchmb said:
    > when you had no heat was the boiler doing anything? Inducer motor running? Circulator running? Any action at all?

Fan sounded like it was running but that was about it. No heat until things get reset

> @Jamie Hall said:
    > Honestly, since replacing the Nest once apparently resolved the problem for week, I would try substituting a plain vanilla thermostat for the Nest -- something simple -- for a while and see if the problem crops up again.

We did that. I threw on a $40 Honeywell one and that's what I thought allowed it to run for the past week. But not it's day to day on and off situation.

> @SuperTech said:
    > I can't say with 100% certainty what it is without checking with a multimeter, but if I had to take a guess based on what you described and what I see in the pictures I think your problems are related to the zone valves. I have seen intermittent issues caused by the end switches having worn out contact points or the valve not opening or closing completely due to the mechanical components get gunked up or worn down.
    >
    > It would be great to open up that boiler and check inside too. Sometimes a control might be showing an error code. But it's a tight squeeze to get into that boiler apparently.

We replaced a zone valve last year, another yesterday. Woke up today go no heat again... Was hoping that would be it.

> @GW said:
    > It’s a basic boiler, it normally is easier to diagnose.
    >
    > If you don’t have a zone control ( do you?) then simply feel the lever on the zone valve, is it sliding back and forth (when it’s calling for heat)?
    >
    > And, when you reset the power, does the boiler start immediately? That may mean something else
    >
    > Like mentioned, maybe it’s the Nests. Do the nests have C wires?

Fires up, zone valves are officially new and it's still acting up. The nests do call for C wires but I did not have one. Regardless it was replaced.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Can you get a nice battery operated Honeywell programmable -- one of the Vision series, perhaps, from you local big box? That will allow you to program setbacks if you like; it just doesn't know when you are there or not.

The Nest must have a C wire to function properly. I think that they allege it will work without one, but we here on the Wall have found otherwise.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lchmb
    If the inducer motor (small motor on top) is running it sounds like either it tried to fire and failed or never proved on the pressure switch. Either way it sounds like your issue is at the boiler..
    DZoro
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Check the tubing to the pressure switch it gets brittle and cracks
    DZoro
  • Karamf
    lchmb said:

If the inducer motor (small motor on top) is running it sounds like either it tried to fire and failed or never proved on the pressure switch. Either way it sounds like your issue is at the boiler..

unclejohn said:

Check the tubing to the pressure switch it gets brittle and cracks

Next thing we're testing out now is the Pilot Gas ignition control.
    Going to get and install tonight. We'll see what happens.

thank you all for your comments. Loving this forum!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Are you located in Rhode Island? If so call the Gas Doctor 401-942-5223.
  • Big Ed_4
    There will be an small hose connected to an disk like switch and an barbed fitting near the fan motor , check for cracks and clean the barb fitting passage
    DZoro
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Looks like a small space.
    Do you have enough combustion air?
  • Karamf

Are you located in Rhode Island? If so call the Gas Doctor 401-942-5223.

I am, if it doesn't work out with the ignition control will do.. Who should i ask for?
  • Karamf
    Big Ed said:

There will be an small hose connected to an disk like switch and an barbed fitting near the fan motor , check for cracks and clean the barb fitting passage

Sounds good! Will check it out!
    SuperJ said:

Looks like a small space.

Do you have enough combustion air?

Seems fine, haven't had any complaints in regards to it from the 6 plumbers that have been through the house in the past 3 years. haha
  • Karamf
    Little update guys... I replaced the Furnace Intermittent Pilot and haven't had a single issue since!

Thank you all for your responses!
  • Big Ed_4
    Always look for the simple things
    kcopp
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    edited March 2018
    Other item, make sure someone has cleaned burners and pilot. That could also be the source of lockout causing the need to reset power. This is the first thing we go after when intermittent lockout then the module. Also, totally agree on common with Nest. or if not enough wires we wire in a relay to isolate electronics which mess with the power stealing of a 2 wire setup on Nest. Corrected 2 of these in last week.
  • lchmb
    always nice when people come back to tell the results..:)
    Karamfkcopp