Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hartford loop

Options
hgp63
hgp63 Member Posts: 3
Is a Y fitting acceptable for the Hartford loop or must it be a close nipple? Seen it done both ways and most piping diagrams that I see show the close nipple only.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The Wye is actually the better method.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Typically a Gifford loop uses a Wye but it is usually piped in above the NWL and creates a much more stable water line. I don't see why that Wye wouldn't work. Has there been any hammer or other issues in that area? Where is that water coming from?
  • hgp63
    Options
    The boiler is cracked and needs to be replaced. I was thinking that I could leave the piping as is and not change out the wye.Thanks
  • Fred
    Options
    @hgp63 , It looks like a good size boiler. I think I'd at least use both risers out of the boiler and a header that is at least one size larger than the risers.
    New England SteamWorks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @hgp63 , as @Ironman said the Y fitting is usually preferred and is shown in some boiler mfg. piping diagrams but a close nipple is fine. Y fittings may not be always readily available and you use what you got.

In fact, I have probably use a 2" nipple once or twice and never had the roof fall in on me.
    Ironman
  • hgp63
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback, what are the benefits of adding the additional riser? it does look like the wye is below the water line shouldn't it be higher.

@Fred its a Weil Mclain eg 50
  • Fred
    Options
    Two risers slows the steam velocity down. Helps the water droplets fall out of the steam to carry much dryer steam out into the system.
    Ironman
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    If the boiler is cracked I'd say the least of your worries is the wye fitting (although we almost always use them). Your first 3 worries, in order of importance, are:

1. Find a good contractor to pipe it correctly, with 2 risers and an oversized dropped header. You'll thank me when you get the fuel bills.
    2. See #1
    3. See#2
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Double DIronman
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    For many years, no one had black c.i. wyes
    Available in my neck of the woods. Now I found a supplier and use them whenever possible. Mad Dog