Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gurgling sound in down stairs bathroom sink

akishjr
akishjr Member Posts: 1
Hello,
I am hearing a gurgling sound in my bathroom sink down stairs when someone uses the shower/runs a bath. also every once in a while it will overflow the sink and water overflows. It doesn't seem to effect how fast the water goes down in the bathtub. Could this be a clogged drain or is this more likely a structural issue? I am a novice but if this is something I could fix myself I wold prefer that since I dont have a ton of disposable money laying around lol. I would appreciate any advice and any way to troubleshoot this issue.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I'm mildly confused by your comment that every once in a while "it" will overflow the sink and water overflows. Not just sure to what "it" refers here, nor am I quite sure to what you are referring with "water overflows".

Can you be a little more specific?

At first thought, it sounds like a partially clogged drain, which is something you can probably attack with some of the more heavy duty drain cleaners (don't be timid -- the only ones which work are pretty fierce). However, it could be a more difficult problem...

But I need to know more.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • invermont
    invermont Member Posts: 73
    I’m not a pro and I’m sure you will get some expert advise. Years ago I had a situation that was somewhat similar. My vent was jammed with snow and ice up on my roof. Never had overflow, but had some gurgling.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Definitely sounds like a vent issue. Could be plugged at the roof, a flat vent takeoff that is plugged with debris, or just plumbed wrong from the get go.
    Have there been any remodels done. "Handymen" are notorious for venting little remodels incorrectly.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • L Thiesen
    L Thiesen Member Posts: 54
    I would caution you about using chemical drain cleaners, they will attack your pipes and could damage the finish of the sink. If this is a recent development I would suggest snaking the drain line. Gurgling is usually caused by either a lack of venting or the drain line starting to plug up.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    I don’t see how the sink could overflow from the shower drain, when the shower drain must be lower than the sink. Water does not flow uphill!
    If you fill up the tub, and the sink together, and then release the water from both together, will they drain properly?—NBC
  • L Thiesen
    L Thiesen Member Posts: 54
    If the tub is on the first floor and the sink is in the basement the overflow will happen. I have seen it many times over the years I have been a plumber.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    @nicholas bonham-carter and @L Thiesen -- that's why I asked for a bit more clarity on what was overflowing where and when!

On chemical drain cleaners -- true. One doesn't want to use them too often; the heavy duty ones can damage pipes if they are used too often -- or incorrectly. If they are used correctly, and only when really needed, I've not seen significant damage from them. There are times when snaking is not feasible.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Is this a recent occurrence or something that been happening over the years? You have to be more specific in your description.

You have an upstairs bathroom and a downstairs bathroom. The downstairs sink gurgles when someone is using the upstairs bath or when someone is using the downstairs bath?

The downstairs sink overflows or the downstairs bath tub overflows? Is the upstairs bathroom directly over the downstairs bathroom? What happens when you flush the upstairs toilet or the downstairs toilet?