Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydrothermal boiler

Cheq
Cheq Member Posts: 2
I have tried for 3 days to fill or pressurize my boiler. I have zero pressure. I have alternated between auto fill and manual fill. I can not turn on the boiler because the boiler is starved and the Grunfos water circulator is grinding terribly. I have read your forums for almost the entire three days. I know you need well lit pictures. When I have attempted to use the pressure real ease valve,there is a cotter pin(Rpin) inserted in the release. If I remove the pin, do I purchase another one or will I do further harm. I tried to get to a filter in the Grunfos but it won't budge. I am unable to oil the water circulator because when I called the mfg. they said "the liquid" would lubricate the system. I need to refill the system. Today we are having a brief thaw but it has been quite cold. Please help.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Are you able to add water to the system at all? If not, why not? That's very much the first problem to solve. If neither the auto fill nor the manual fill will add water, you have to find out where the blockage is before you do anything else. Trace pipes; you may find another valve somewhere which got closed.

If the system pressure is now zero, you are going to have to bleed and purge the system before you can run it again.

On the pressure relief valve -- I recommend if it has been operated, that it be replaced. It is a critical life safety item. Don't try to disassemble it; if it's leaking, replace.

On the Grundfos. my recollection is that it is a water lubricated pump. If it has been run dry, it's toast (the Alpha 2 has dry run protection; older ones don't). I do not know of any user replaceable filters on them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • Cheq
    Cheq Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jamie. I have bleed and purged to the max. I have worked so long on this that I did not mention. I came home and water was dripping from the ceiling. The bleeder valve from the outdoor spigot was leaking. I had to tear out the ceiling to turn off the outside line and the bleeder valve. I have taken the best pictures possible.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    That's some old obsolete equipment. The money you are wasting...

Are you getting water out of any bleeder from any radiator upstairs?
    It's possible your gauge doesn't work, your circulator just happens to be bad, and your fill valve wont work/plugged.
    Time to bring in a pro to figure it out.
    steve
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You can try getting the hose off the washing machine and filling the boiler through the drain but the water went some where and you most definitely need a serving call on that boiler before you but a fire under it.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited January 2018
    When you try the fill valve or fast fill do you hear any water running in the pipes? Put your ear against the pipe.

Could the water fill pipe be frozen??

Shut the power off to the pump.....no oil required.

Leave the relief valve alone until you get some pressure in the boiler. Something to check later.

Your boiler gauge shows no pressure but 130 temp......that must be wrong....your boiler is not firing????

Where are you located?
    Gordy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    As @unclejohn mentioned you can fill it with a hose and a washing machine hose. But it does sound like you need some professional help to get this operational.

Best of luck, no fun to have no heat