Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fathers Be Good to Your Daughters

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited January 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Fathers Be Good to Your Daughters

No matter the plans we have for our kids, they will become who they will become.

Read the full story here

IronmanSolid_Fuel_ManLJPurvis

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Little silver thingy, I can't stop laughing...my two kids one went to Assumption in Wochester, ma the other went to university of Delaware....I got to give my daughter the edge on mechanical ability, son lives in the Carolinas and I recently spend literally and hour total on the phone walking him thru a toilet seat change...But man are they good at what they do...being the greatest two children one could ask for...
  • WilliamGripp
    WilliamGripp Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Being a blessed father of three daughters, this was a perfect story to read on a cold snowy day, really warmed me up.
    j a_2
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I probably worked in that townhouse in Bethesda off Bradly. Hope fully she took you to VACE and got some Pizza. If not there downtown to Two Amy's. I also have a daughter named Emily [we used to call her Screamilly, if she saw a spider she screamed if she thought she saw a spider she screamed. And she is now visiting us from Costa Rica where she moved 10 months ago. Of all my girls and I have 5 the last one I thought would move out of the country it was her. Once when she was at our beach house she called and said the A/C was not working. Low and Behold I talked her through a capacitor change. By the way Dan how often does this happen to you. Me I have five daughters, Them Five daughters all girls?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Having done mission work in Costa Rica, I well know the shower head that you're talking about. It's called a widow maker and for good reason. The first one I encountered had the cover missing off of the top with live terminals exposed. It was controlled by an open knife switch on the wall - the kind you see in old movies where they're electrocuting a prisoner.

Having six daughters and one son, I relate very much to you article. And you're so right: God made each one of them different with different abilities and interests.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    j a_2
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    We visited the family while Meg was living there and I got to see the shower head. I'm still shivering at the thought. Oh, and they also got their bananas by reaching out the kitchen window.
    Retired and loving it.
    Ironman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    So true -- one surely can never tell. I have two -- a son and a daughter. The son wound up being a world class ballet dancer -- and married a perfectly lovely girl, also world class. When they retired, produced two lovely granddaughters, went to college, and he's now a materials engineer; she's a high powered business person. My daughter loves history -- got a doctorate in it. Which one is taking over from me as I get old and creaky? The daughter -- and watching her fix a tractor or run a chainsaw is just plain fun!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_ManCanucker
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Jamie, you always make me smile. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just sent email to my wife linking this story. Ever since your last one, I tease her by saying "it's under the vanity" when she's 'communication challenged.' Hopefully she won't arrange for me to be put in a Costa Rican shower. :)
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Sal! LOL!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Good one! Loving this thread.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

Sal Santamaura
  • CarstenNorgaard
    CarstenNorgaard Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello Erin and Dan
    I understand many of the issues :-) but I am not sure I understand why Americans should not be interested in how well their homes are heated or cooled down. You have an energy labelling of the buildings and I believe it covers everything from HVAC, electric equipment, walls, windows and roof insulation.
    If that is correct, why will people pay for heating up the upstairs guys apartment or heat the feet of the bird outside the window.
    From an operation cost of view it is bad but also in case of (re)selling of the property. If it is like here in Denmark, the rating effects the sales price significantly.
    Is the labelling of buildings not mandatory?

Carsten Norgaard
    Jamie Hall
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

Hello Erin and Dan
    ...Is the labelling of buildings not mandatory?

Carsten Norgaard

No, it isn't, and I am very thankful that it is not. Fortunately, we are free to choose what we would like, and equally free to obtain it, within our means. Not that there isn't a sizable group of people who would like to tell us what they think is best for us, and force us to do it...

But what on earth does all that have to do with "fathers be good to your daughters"? I have rarely read a more inappropriate reply to a thread.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_ManIronman
  • CarstenNorgaard
    CarstenNorgaard Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for your kind and thoughtful reply ...
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    @CarstenNorgaard, labeling is not mandatory. I appreciate your perspective, though, and you make an interesting point.

@Dan Holohan says: "I sat there shivering and thinking about how oblivious most Americans are when it comes to HVAC. How marble countertops and soaring ceilings will always win out over a well-planned building envelopes, and delicious hydronic-heating systems."

Do you all think things are changing with the next generation of homeowners? I'm noticing a greater emphasis on efficiency.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Hi, Carsten. We don't have anything close to what you folks have. I wish.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

@...
    Do you all think things are changing with the next generation of homeowners? I'm noticing a greater emphasis on efficiency.

I think things probably are, @Erin Holohan Haskell . Not, perhaps, quite as fast as some would like, but they are. Although I suspect that it may be a long time before new homeowners show off their beautifully and correctly installed heating system with anything like the glee with which they show off their gourmet kitchen (except maybe some weird people like us?).

There are two things which I have noticed about the European situation vs. the US, which must not be overlooked. The first (and perhaps less obvious of the two) is that much of their new housing stock is a lot newer than ours; they did not see the building boom that the US did in the years immediately after World War II. A good bit of that older newer housing stock in this country is somewhat dubious. There also isn't, proportionately, anywhere near as much of it. The other is that, as a generalization (always dangerous) the European cultures are much more amenable to very strict regulations, codes and enforcement than the US is. Is this good or bad? Dunno, but it surely is. We Yankees tend to be a pretty independent lot...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Ironman
    Options
    "We Yankees tend to be a pretty independent lot..."

And I intend to stay that way. It's one of the things that made this nation great.

Bob Boan
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options

I think things probably are, @Erin Holohan Haskell . Not, perhaps, quite as fast as some would like, but they are. Although I suspect that it may be a long time before new homeowners show off their beautifully and correctly installed heating system with anything like the glee with which they show off their gourmet kitchen (except maybe some weird people like us?).

Funny you mention it, we had a party over the holidays and a few of our friends asked to see the mechanical room, so I gave a gleeful tour.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

Ironman
  • Ironman
    Options

Funny you mention it, we had a party over the holidays and a few of our friends asked to see the mechanical room, so I gave a gleeful tour.
    Didn't Dan Foley do it?

Can you post some pics?

Bob Boan
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    @Ironman - Yes, he did. Here's a before/after photo. Dan Foley and his team do amazing work.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

Ironman
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    On of the best jobs I’ve ever seen. And I get to enjoy it! I wrote about it in the Blog.
    Retired and loving it.
  • wyradiantguy
    wyradiantguy Member Posts: 5
    Options
    HI Dan,
    You must be very proud of all your daughters. I have enjoyed your books, jokes, and attended a few seminars you had since I started doing plumbing and heating in Wyoming in 1972. Met Hot Rod and Ellen at some of their seminars as well. I have been doing pumping away since you wrote your first book and it has never failed me. Just wanted to let you know, a lot of people have benefited from your teaching and knowledge. and maybe even more from your stories. By the way, we use the same boilers as the one in the picture, but we add heat storage to all of our systems now so the boiler saves even more energy...
    Keep up the good work Erin!
    Ironman
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks! And I am proud of all of them.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    Thanks, @wyradiantguy. We're pretty proud of my dad too.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• Paul1981
    Paul1981 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hahaha
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yeah, Paul. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.