Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't get temperature in home above 64 degrees

Hi, I had a new Weil McLain oil fired 3 section boiler and hot water heater installed 3 months ago in October 2017. I've been having problems with it since it was installed. After a few weeks I woke up with no heat and called the company that installed it. By the time they got to the house, a few hours later, the heat was working. They checked the system and couldn't find anything wrong. This happened twice in a week. A few days after the second visit I woke up to no heat, and it never came on. I called the company again but they didn't send anyone until the next day. When they did come they said there was air in the line. After that things were okay for a month or so, until last week. I set the temperature to 75 plus on the thermostat, but could only get the temperature up to 64 degrees. I don't know if its because of the extremely cold weather we are having on Long Island, in the teens and below? The windows in the house are old, but I did seal them. I have hot-water radiators, which I have been bleeding. The radiators are warm. The thermostat is old, but I never had a problem with it before. I am not happy with this company at all. I just feel that after spending all that money I should not be having these problems. Is there anything I could do on my own?
Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Anything you can do on your own? Sometimes -- but first, did anyone do a heat loss calculation on your house to make sure the boiler was big enough for the job? It's rare to find an undersized boiler -- but it does happen.

On your own, though, somewhere on that boiler or the piping, there should be a temperature gauge, and there should be a control called an aquastat (may not be, if you have outdoor reset). Can you report back what the temperature gauge says, and what the aquastat is set for.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Waiting, it could be as silly as bad thermostat. Then again it could be one of a dozen things. What kind of system? Many systems have Fault Codes. If yours does have a fault code indicator, that code tells you and me all sorts of good information (hopefully).

We all live pics here because we can know more about your system than your typing 500 words.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    If the Hydrostat came packaged with the boiler, there's an economy dial inside the cover. Set it 0. That will give it higher temps.
  • waitingforsummer
    waitingforsummer Member Posts: 5

• waitingforsummer

• waitingforsummer

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It looks like the heating piping to the house is 3/4". Can you provide some info about your radiators and the sizing of the boiler?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    On the boiler aquastat (showing 163 in your pic), there's a red button on top. Press the red button to scroll through the settings. What are the Hi, Lo and economy settings?