Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Replacement

Options
Hi all, had a question about radiators. Most of the radiators on my 1-pipe steam system are the cast iron old style column radiators. I also had some new ones installed that are the new from the plumbing supply shop thin tube, like these: http://governaleindustries.com/products/gov-free/

Maybe it's my imagination, but are those old radiators better at putting out heat than the new ones you can buy now? I figured if they are both cast iron and have the same EDR rating, they should heat the same, but to me it seems like they don't.

Curious to hear thoughts on this,
thanks and Happy New Year to everyone,

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    They may not. But not because they don't have the same EDR rating. One factor may be colour and finish. Dull finishes put out more heat than gloss ones, and much more than pure metal or metallic finishes.

The other factor is pure weight. The heavier radiator will heat up less rapidly, but that is rarely noticed. What is noticed is that the heavier radiator will also cool down much more slowly -- and you will feel the warmth from it for a long time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I'm sure the old radiators have thicker walls. I would think the greater the mass the better the condensing/ heat emissions and the longer they hold and release heat, after the boiler has shut down
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    The old colum radiators are definity best for single pipe steam heat..wide open,less restrictions...thin colum ones came around with two pipe systems....and became mixed in....
    steamhouse
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I have old tube style radiators from 1930s at my house. When I got brand new thin tube/slenderized radiator I wasn't happy with it. The new one is lighter and does not retain heat as long as my original ones. Also narrow sections are restrictive and it is harder to vent them completely compared to the old thick tube with wider sections. Pity they don't make them like that anymore.
    j a_2
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Find some good used 1930's radiators and have them sand blasted, pressure tested, and painted.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge