Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Understanding the probe-type low water indicator?

I eyeball my water level gauge every week or two. When cooled it's close to 1/2 full ( a little less ), I checked this morning while it was running and the visible level was about 1/4" from the bottom. I also noticed this morning that my probe-type low water indicator had blinked yellow.

I assume that means it's getting low and I should add water?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Probably... but wait until the system shuts down and is little bit cooled off (if it ever does in this weather) to check the level and refill.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nmquirk
    nmquirk Member Posts: 23
    Thanks @Jamie Hall

I found the Spec for the Safgard I have. The water level completes the circuit of the device. If it's that simple my thoughts are wrong, but to your point, I'll add a little water once I can. Below zero every morning this part week.
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Yep, it’s that simple. When th lwco is flashing yellow, your boiler should not be able to fire. Sounds like you don’t have an auto feed on the boiler.

Is your boiler still firing when the yellow light is flashing?
  • nmquirk
    nmquirk Member Posts: 23
    It is, and I have a VXT
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    If you have an autofeeder, it should feed and get the water up where it belongs without tripping the LWCO. Something's not right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • steamhouse
    steamhouse Member Posts: 41

If you have an autofeeder, it should feed and get the water up where it belongs without tripping the LWCO. Something's not right.

Not if on a delay, and condensate takes some time coming back
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2017
    I was just hanging out with my boiler. I keep waterline about 1-1/2” -two inches above probe when cold. as it builds pressure, water line will be pushed down but not below the probe. If all is well, lwco will never flash. I dont have an autofeeder.