Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric and hot water heating in same room

We have 20+ rooms, each room has its own zone valve and thermostat. The two rooms on the end of each zone (two zones one upstairs one down) had electric baseboard installed at some point because the rooms weren’t heating correctly. I believe I have solved that issue but now I am concerned that the electric baseboard is keeping the boiler thermostat in those rooms from opening the valve, causing that room loop to cool opening us up to a freeze situation.

Basically my question is should I lower the electric heat all the way and see if I can stabilize the heat in those rooms? Hard to test overnight at this time of the year in our climate.

Sorry if I missed stuff

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You answered your own question. Shut off or disconnect the electric heat and try it.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Or stay in one of the other 18+ rooms.
    ericneedsheathelp
  • Yeah my room works well it’s mostly heat loss issues there. ;). Was kinda looking for the theory of why you don’t do this to help me understand the boiler system here and explain to people why it isn’t working properly.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    How 'bout a two-stage thermostat to control both heating sources? You'd want to open up the second stage deadband somewhat to give the hydronic circuit more space to work in, as they're generally slow to respond.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    If the room is too cold why a two-stage thermostat @ratio ?

Just set the electric heat where you want the temp to be and if the hydronic can't handle it the electric picks the temp up.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    @EBEBRATT-Ed, one stat, one headache. Two stats, two headaches. Simple math.

Plus, I love controls, the more complicated the better. :smiley:

Canucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @ratio , more than 2 wires gives me a migraine LOL
    ratioCanucker
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    I would use a two stage stat with relays to operate primary / secondary choices between the two systems. If the first to call for heat is hydronic and it can't keep up, depending on the demand, than you will know hydronic is undersized or has a problem.
  • You could also flip the electric baseboard breaker off, and see if the hydronic system can keep up, before the real winter temps arrive. If not, then find out why, as I am sure that gas will be cheaper than electric, BTU to BTU.—NBC
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226

If the room is too cold why a two-stage thermostat @ratio ?

Just set the electric heat where you want the temp to be and if the hydronic can't handle it the electric picks the temp up.

Sounds good to me. There are advantages to undersizing boiler and making up difference with electric supplement. The supplement control should have a wide band.