Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A Simple Question that I couldn't answer

RSM
RSM Member Posts: 3
edited November 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello,

A colleague of mine the other day asked a very simple question that I couldn't answer. I was hoping someone in the forum could provide some perspective. The question was "What's the typical size of a residential hydronic heating system." I.e how many radiators are there, typical boiler size, pipe sizing. I know this is vague and there are many factors involved such as the size of the home, but I'm sure there's an average that most Contractors or Industry Professionals see in a given day or week. Thanks.

Comments

• How deep is a well?
    Supply houses could perhaps answer how large the most popular size they sell would be.—NBC
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Or, how long is a piece of rope?

However, I have found that the AVERAGE 3 bedroom home that's about 1500 sq. ft. needs less than 50k btus.

Most heating systems are way over-sized.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta T
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    By far the most common size of mod con for me to order is an 85,000 with 10:1 turn down if there is DHW, or a 55,000 with a 5:1 turndown without DHW. The low modulation is almost identical on each one, and the extra room on top with the 85,000allows for a faster DHW recovery.

However.....I have put everything from 55,000 to 300,000 in a residential setting (the 300,000 was a MASSIVE house with a central boiler supplying DHW and heating to the house and two outbuildings)
    Ironman
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    New houses need little heat in Canada. So tight that ERV required. So radiant can be electric. Hydronic nowadays is usually for bigger building than an individual home.

But existing HHW in older Canadian homes usually at least 200,000 BTU.
  • RSM
    RSM Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your insight!