Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tug Of War with the Asbestos guy

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
So I go and drain/disconnect this boiler this morning for the asbestos people.

Me: before I go I’d like to take that Bryant emblem off the boiler.

Asbestos Guy: I have a collection of all these old boiler logos and emblems. I have also saved a lot of old pressure gauges too, some are very nice

(Asbestos guy starts to try and unscrew the tiny screws that affix the little Bryant badge)

(Me) I pull out my tiny screwdriver and remove the two small screws

As it comes off the guy still has his fingers on my prized emblem. I gently tug on it; he doesn’t let go! I let go, fine I say to myself.

10 minutes later:
(Me) So you wanted that boiler badge too?

(Asbestos guy) Yes, like I was telling you, I have a whole collection of emblems and steam gauges, been collecting them forever.

Lesson, the next time I really want something, get it gone before the asbestos guys show up. Hahaha

This pic was taken BEFORE our gentle tug of war. One screw was out and I realized I hadn’t taken any pix yet. He wasn’t gonna take is finger off until it was his

Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Asbestos guy doe not touch boiler or will loose finger!
    GWSolid_Fuel_Man
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    That looks like a nice Revere Ware pot under that drip leg, maybe that can be had as partial compensation, for the badge loss.--NBC
    GW
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I learned that lesson years ago, when I let several hundred (! Yes, hundreds! ) pounds of copper get away from me . If I want it, EVERYTHING waits until I get it.
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Is the asbestos contractor your sub or working for the owner??

If he's your sub you get the badge. If he works for the owner.....not so much
    kcopp
  • GW
    Options
    yes the HO hired them, that's why I didn't make a big issue out of it, my fault and lesson learned. I didn't know the asbestos people had appreciation for such things, now i know. I cracks me up becasue I thought my communication was good. When I said I wanted the emblem, he didn't reply at all, not even a grunt. He just took some large tool out of his pocket and attempted to remove the tiny screws.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    It's just that the horse on the emblem was rockin...next time.......
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    No horse in the emblem but it’s newer and better
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    New England SteamWorks
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Should have threatened to tell the home owner the asbestos could just get wrapped up and covered, a waste of money IMO removing it unless it's falling apart so bad there's no safe way to encapsulate it. I'm convinced removing it increases overall exposure no matter how careful you are. I think it's a total waste of money most of the time unless you are removing the pipe completely ...but that's me. Had a ton if it in the last house I owned. No reason to touch it even though the steam system sadly had been abandoned probably because of some frozen pipes and general neglect.
  • GW
    Options
    Well the old boiler was in our way so it had to go. Yes I believe the wrapped the boiler and hauled it out in one piece
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    A careful, proper abatement by a competent
    Handler who takes the time is much safer than leaving it in place, even when properly encapsulated. It's kicking the can down the road: every time a new contractor or worker or unwitting homeowner disturbs it, your spewing fibers in to the space. Mad Dog
  • GW
    edited November 2017
    Options
    what's the general opinion on the asbestos, seems a little over rated to me. Smoker? don't touch it, your lungs are already beat. Non-Smoker??? a little dust gonna kill you; along with the fiberglass you've sucked in all your life? We follow the rules, just wondering what you think
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I understand that the WHO bins it in the same category as cigarettes and The Pill. It's certainly not good for you, and the people who had to work in it got royally screwed, but the OMG ASBESTOS attitude isn't making us any safer.

I mean, let's face it. How many times has legislated safety worked out without major, often insurmountable, issues?

kcopp
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I remember digging my nail into the asbestos on my aunt's old coal boiler when I was young.
    It was basically coated in it
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm with you @GW , I think we all know it's best to respect it and not disturb it on a regular basis but give me a break, there are all types of risk in our homes and the environment. Fix it, when you can, avoid it if possible and deal with it ocassionally, when needed is my mantra. I'm almost 70 and I can remember the days when we put new brakes on our cars, blew and brushed the old brake dust off of the inside of the drums, replaced old furnaces, wrapped in asbestos, removed old asbestos filled floor tiles, and on and on and on. I don't want to minimize the impact it can have but I also don't think it is something to be alarmed about. Encapsulation is fine. IMHO
    EDIT: And what about all the houses that were/are sided with asbestos siding, then just covered with aluminum or vinyl?
    New England SteamWorksCanucker
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I've handled asbestos before and always with great care. In the early 80's I helped a neighbor strip it off an old mummy by spraying it with hot water and a surficant. I scraped while she sprayed. i had a large fan exhausting air out the cellar door and we worked from the back to the front of the old mummy that was about 4 ft from that open door. We double bagged it and threw it into a dumpster.

In the 90's my sister bought a stacking washer/dryer pair or the back hall and I installed it for her. This was an old house with asbestos siding. I removed the shingle I wanted to vent through and drilled a lot of 1/8" holes around the perimeter of the 4" hole I needed. I kept it wet and did everything out in the driveway.

That same year they discovered a large block of asbestos next to the old Squantum naval air base, you would have thought they had found an unexploded 1,000 pound bomb out there. They erected a barrier 100 ft around the block and had guys in moon suites out there for an entire day. Anybody with a brain would have dug a large hole beside it, rolled it into the hole and buried it under 3 ft of marsh muck.

The stuff is dangerous if it's handled haphazardly but it's not ricin, and I had to deal with what we thought might be ricin at the Post Office on one of the machines. You have to know what your doing and take proper precautions because if things go sideway you won't know for 30 years.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • GW
    Options
    Ok I guess my feelings are not unique
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com