Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Baseboard Return Tubing Expansion Noise

Options
healeymp0
healeymp0 Member Posts: 2
My upstairs zone is one long continuous above-floor run. It has 3/4" copper return tubing resting on return tubing brackets above the fins. When the return tubing heats or cools it causes the brackets to "ping" a little bit as the friction between the return tubing and the brackets is finally overwhelmed by the tension of the expansion/contraction of the tubing. The front covers are attached to these same brackets, and these "pings" get transferred to the covers and cause them to make noise.

I doubt I am the first person to experience this problem. Does anyone know of a good remedy?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Expansion noises are all too common. See if you can put pieces of pipe insulation wherever pipe meets metal.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    Or just small pieces cut from a plastic milk jug. Often works wonders.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    or consider adding outdoor reset to the system.

The noise you are experiencing is the rapid expansion/contraction of the pipe when it goes from 70F to 180F.

Outdoor reset controllers will modulate the water temp based upon demand and outside air temp and can help in quieting the system down.
    It can also save you some fuel costs.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    IronmanGrallertnewagedawn
  • healeymp0
    healeymp0 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm liking the milk jug solution. Thanks for the tips!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    If the pipe is restricted from expanding by something at either end, that may be your problem also.

100' of Copper tubing will "grow" 1" in length when it's heated 100* (70* to 170*).

They make fittings that can be installed to absorb the expansion.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.