Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Scientific and healthy temperature for rooms which are being heated by Hydronic radiant heating syst

Dear members ,

I would like to ask you to enlighten me about ideal and healthy temperature for individual rooms in a house which are being heated by water base radiant heating system . Here, as the fall is in mid and the temp nearly goes down I have had couple of calls for starting up their heating systems . In this case, I would like to know that what are the best Ideal temp for the rooms and I do appreciate you if you would mind giving scientific reasons that help me to persuade some house owners which always have desire for warmer and warmer rooms .

Thank you in advance for taking the time to teach me some valuable lessons ,

I look forward to hearing from you ,

Sincerely,
Roohollah

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I'm afraid I really don't understand the question. The proper room temperature is whatever feels comfortable to the homeowner.
    You can explain to them how each 1° they turn down their thermostat will save them x amount of money, but if they like it warm, and they want to pay for it, let them crank it up.
    I remember being in Europe and not seeing numbers on some thermostats, just turn them to where they feel comfortable.
    If you're old enough to remember the energy 'crises' in the 70's, Jimmy was trying to get people to turn their thermostats down to like 62°
    steve
    Roohollah
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    So far as I know there isn't an acceptable number, nor even a range. OSHA does make noises if things are too warm, but you're unlikely to hit that -- that's up around 85 to 90, even for heavy work.

As @STEVEusaPA says, the correct temperature is what feels right to the occupants. One old lady might like it at 75 or even higher. An active youngster might be happy with 65. Or less. If you have two people in the house, you will have three opinions...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Roohollah
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, Generally speaking, slightly lower temperatures and some temp variability are good things, but are not what people want. Also, bodies are different. Old and very young need warmer temps vs cooler temps for those young adults with hotter metabolic rates. The humidity in the air plays a big part in comfort as does radiant heat loss or gain from one's body to surrounding materials. After a stroke, my wife felt cold when the thermometer said 88 degrees F! Look at people with an IR camera. It becomes easy to see higher and lower metabolic rates. B)

Yours, Larry
    CanuckerRoohollah
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    As the others have said, there are no set guidelines, and what feels comfortable to the individuals living in the space is what you need to get to. Solar load, wind load, heat loss, insulation, window & door types all have bearing on what you temperatures will be. Humidity also plays a role, as do all the activities that go on in a home like cooking, showers, laundry and cleaning. Women tend to be more sensitive to temperature changes than men. Elderly people lose their ability to feel heat, sometimes to the point where they scald themselves in the shower. Small children need it a bit warmer. Comfort is not only temperature. Balancing it with humidity and ventilation, air purification and energy needs is vital to keep your clients happy, not waste energy, and maintain their health.
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Dear Members ,

I profusely thank you all for providing me with great elucidation to see the current situation . I do appreciate all you have shared with me .

As regards the question , I would like to delineate that situation that I really encounter it . That is a five floors apartment building and every floor is about 230 square meter and composes of four bed rooms , a kitchen ,a living room and fairly large dining room . The inhabitants are diverse even if in the same floor . The problem is that the Electrician did not complete the work as I expected and he did not equip the rooms with room thermostats and now it is not possible to control the radiant heating system from the boiler 's thermostat while the weather is warm during the day and quite chilly at night .Most of the inhabitants are over fifties and the temp is bearable for them ;however, the rest who are youngsters and newlyweds are complaining about excessive heat . So , I just adjusted their radiant manifold to balance heat in their rooms and also equipping the radiant circulator with timer not to work continuously and stop during the day shortly .For example , one hour operation and half an hour sleep . I did this last Thursday and they have not called me yet .

A part from the system , they do not like to invest in equipping the floors with Uponor Wireless room thermostats to independently control each room or floor . Also, they asked me about the international or American standard temperatures for rooms ,and I told them I would ask my friends at Heating Help and share their inputs with them .

As you all stated above , the inhabitants must feel comfortable inside ,and I try to do my utmost to balance the system with whatever avails . Indeed, I take heed of your help to satisfy those inhabitants .

In fact , the more I get informed , the less I make mistake .

Thank you for your time and support ,

Sincerely,
    Roohollah
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Here is a link to some data that has been gathered by the EPA.
    https://www.acurite.com/learn/home-monitoring/ideal-temperature-and-humidity-level-in-home
    They suggest healthy humidity levels between 30% and 60% and temps at 68F during the day and 65 at night. They also explain the reasons for these suggestions. As for activities like cooking, exercise, I guess I would suggest those are alternative heat sources and adjustments have to be made for those situations but the question you ask is about ideal temps, not the source of the heat. Clearly, as has been said, personal comfort levels will ultimately drive where one sets their thermostats, healthy or otherwise. Hope this is of some help.
    Roohollah
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The MRT mean radiant temperature has a lot to do with comfort, the temperature of the objects in the room can make a body feel cool even with a common thermostat set temperature.

Nobody explains it better than Sir Robert Bean at www.healthyheating.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ZmanRoohollahMark Eatherton
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Dear Members,

Thank you so much for the posts and the link . They are actually are great help and I do appreciate it .

Indeed, I will browse the subject at Healthy Heating as Hot Rod stated . I hope I will perceive the subject over there .

An unbelievable surprise for Hot rod , There was an international heating and refrigeration trade show in my country from October 25 to 28 . It was two days ago , As usual , I went there and looked for overseas companies and as I expected I visited Calefee booth . They came from Italy and I knew them well ,after couple of minutes of amiable conversation , they talked about Calefee in the U.S and their magnificent presence there . Also, i shared Heating Help with them and out of the blue they recalled Mr. Hot Rod perfectly . They were amazed by the news that how Heating Help makes such connection and friendship around the globe . To be honest, I had the privilege to stay at Caleffee booth and talked with those nice guys .

Once more, thank you for your time and support,

Sincerely,

Roohollah